The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fender Pro Junior

Fender Pro Junior

4.1 4.1 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

Great little 15 watt bare-bones amp with vintage vibe

17th December 2011

Fender Pro Junior by John Eppstein

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

Fender lists this little jewel in their "Hot Rod" line but they're talking more about the looks than any "hotrod" features. In fact, it's as close to one of the small amps made in the '50s as anything in the current catalog except maybe the Champion 600.

One volume, one tone knob. That's it. 15 watts of tube power out of 2 EL84s. Dual 12AX7 front end. One 10" speaker. Power switch.

Vintage looks with the controls on a recessed panel on top. Available in black or tweed.

This amp is perfect for recording and is loud enough for small club gigs. Plug it in and it just works.

26th February 2012

Fender Pro Junior by mahasandi

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5

I much preferred the vox ac4tv.

This fender has a strange sound in the high frequencies.
Perhaps non chinese tubes would ally this.

there is not a ton of variation in this sound it is very homogeneous in its tone across its range.

It has 15 watts and I dont think a loud drummer would leave you much option but to crank.
These are generic comments for a small amp though to be fair well except the tone problem.
Which is why I dont love this amp.
Yes it can sound good and yet for the price I do think there are better options.
Especially if your wanting to record, in that case the vox has less of a colored sound for that application.If you just want a little practice amp then maybe its not as critical.
Of course you might love it's tone or maybe you have changed the tubes to something better and then YMMV

from fender:

The Pro Junior™ III is a simple, uncluttered 15-watt tone machine - a great grab-and-go tube amp for stage and studio. It delivers the fat mid tones characteristic of EL-84 output tubes, driven by a dual-12AX7 tube preamp and a 10” Fender Special Design speaker with vintage cone. It all adds up to incredibly touch-sensitive dynamic response that experienced players prefer. Other features include a unique clean-to-drive volume control, and external speaker capability.

I would say if you like the tone then this is a great solution.
I actually felt the mid range was overwhelmed by the highs high mids and did not sound"fat" too me at all but one mans trash....

27th March 2012

Fender Pro Junior by dontfeedmecurry

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

Fender Blues Junior III

What can I say about the little Fender amplifier except 'amazing'?! It is what it is, so don't get me wrong, but for the price and the size, you're hard pressed to find a match that sounds as good, is as easily portable and maintains that Fender tube amp vibe.

It's only 15W, all tube, with a 12" speaker. It weighs very little and so I can take it to small gigs, and it's all tube so you get a serious warmth just like it's big brothers, but in a much more contained setup. Also, because it is only 15W, you can also 'push it' and get that saturated tube tone without the massive levels of volume that 50W and 100W equivalents require. In theory, this makes for an excellent studio amplifier, but in reality, it's a bit noisy for that - so I would recommend you make some modifications if that is your intent for this amplifier. There are several sites online that direct you on how to get this amp to sound much quieter than it's factory setup. This is another conversation, and not my forte, but I suggest you look into it - my amp tech did all of this on my behalf, and now it sounds pristine. So look at spending a couple hundred extra dollars to get it 'just right'!

However, I digress - The setup is simple with Treble, Mid, Bass knobs, Master and Volume knobs, and also a pretty decent Reverb function. I don't mind the reverb on this amp, it is rich and warm. Also there is a 'Fat' switch for basically thickening the tone of the amp. This is an awesome amplifier and one that I recommend to anyone who wants a simple setup, a killer tube amp tone, all for a great price.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Fender Pro Junior
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search