The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tascam M-164UF

TASCAM M-164UF

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

A 14-channel mixer with effects, two sends, two stereo out channels and 10 input channels through USB2.0

16th December 2011

TASCAM M-164UF by paukkumaissi

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

The Tascam M-164UF is both an excellent 14-channel mixer (two are reserved for effects return) as well as a USB 2.0 interface that will record up to 10 channels simultaneously to your computer (the rest 6 are reserved for the two mono AUXes and stereo out and sub out). Either a quality mixer or a good 10-channel interface itself would easily cost you almost the price of the M-164UF, so it's a real bargain, it's a good investment to get while you still can.

Additionally, it's still probably the only USB mixer that has been upgraded to USB 2.0 so you get all the channels directly to your computer (instead of just a stereo sum of all the channels).

However, the M-164UF is a discontinued model. Although the ASIO driver works out-of-the-box on my Windows 7 laptop, it's hard to say whether they will support Windows 8 in the future (Macs I don't know about). But to consider the quality of M-164UF, Tascam has replaced it with DM-3200, which is now a 3000$ product.

The preamps and phantom power are good when compared to other similar priced products (e.g. Alesis), no noise that I can notice when recording with my Oktava MK-012 or Shure SM58. However, I have had big problems with the pres when recording my acoustic guitar, they are excessively boomy, there's way too much bass. That could be the room I am in as well (lots of bad room modes) or any other part of my setup so I wouldn't want to judge the Tascam gear yet, but the boominess is with both of the aforementiond mics.

The effects are OK I guess. The mixer functionality is as good as usual in 16-channel mixers, there's two external mono sends and two overall subgroups ("subwoofer" and "stereo") both of which have separate stereo outs (balanced stereo out for sub, balanced and rca stereo out for stereo). The sub can also be sent via stereo so you effectively have one channel group.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Tascam M-164UF
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search