The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

4.55 4.55 out of 5, based on 8 Reviews

Great headphones for tracking, mixing, monitoring, and more

14th December 2011

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 by deadtrick

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

The Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Headphone is a closed monitoring headphone that have become a standard in many studios worldwide. These headphones work great for tracking and also as a late night monitoring headphone to mix on.

Highs - Highs are crisp, and VERY clear. Cymbals are nice and clean, no harshness at all.

Mids - These cans shine in the mids, there are so hidden things I've found when monitoring with these headphones in my mixes. Voices are clear, guitars are balanced without being too overpowering.

Lows - Some people say that these headphones have too much low's, and are too bassy for their liking. I say that these headphones emit bass AMAZINGLY well, almost too good for my taste. I can compare these to a top of the line Sennheiser headphone and prefer these instead. Bass is nice and punchy, enough to feel the pressure of the drivers but very tightly controlled without distortion.

Comfort/Build Quality - The headphones come in a closed back design with leather cups that WILL crack if exposed to the extreme weathers (like wearing it outside during the winter). I suggest to leave these indoors and buy another pair of open ear headphones for outdoors. Like with most closed headphones, after a couple hours your head does start to feel a little "tight," but nonetheless are very comfortable. I've had these for about 4 years and they are built to last.

The headphones come in a coiled (M50) and straight cord version (M50s) for about $150. For the price, you can't beat it. Buy a couple of these for your home studio and you're clients won't be disappointed.

22nd December 2011

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 by jimmymio

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

I recently replaced my trusty old AKG K240 phones with this pair. The AT sound great- very clear and focused. Like the AKG, they are bass heavy and I find I have to compensate for this when making mix decisions.
I also find them a bit uncomfortable and I find myself pulling them off my head occasionally.
But all on all I would say they are winners.

31st December 2011

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 by praktisch

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5

Sound quality: The ATH-M50 series of headphones are surprisingly very clear, and have great mids and highs, with pretty decent lows, especially for headphones. Nothing to really complain about here.

Ease of use: I initially had purchased the ATH-M50 headphones instead of the ATH-M50s headphones, with the difference being that the ATH-M50 headphones have a coiled cable, and the ATH-M50s headphones have a straight cable. After using the coiled version for a week or so, I exchanged them for the ones with the straight cable, as the coiled cable would get caught on things fairly regularly. So if you're getting the coiled version, the rating is really more of a 9 because of that. But other than that, these are wonderful. You can fold them up to save space when you're storing them and such.

Features: As I mentioned above, you can fold these headphones up to save space, and they come with a 3.5mm to TRS adapter. One feature that is missing that prevents me from giving it full marks is that you cannot simply exchange the cables for the headphones whenever you please. But as the one that comes with it is completely fine, this is only a minor nitpick.

Bang for buck: This isn't even a question in my mind, as the quality that you get from these far surpasses everything in its range, as well as being very close to some that are far more expensive. They are probably the best deal on monitoring headphones period.

14th February 2012

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 by mahasandi

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

These have alot of bass perhaps too much but they are closed and great for tracking.
The idea of using these as a reference is fine of course combined with lots of other references.
The comfort is really good and the isolation good.
The sound leakage is very low.

I like the mids on these they are pleasant the highs a not very pronounced.

If you compare them to anything near there price for closed tracking cans nothing can touch them.
I feel that for tracking phones the bass should be up a bit to involve the players but I wish they were a tad lighter in the low end as it can get a little muddy with things piling up.
Again compared to anything near this price and there is no comparison.
The sony v-1000 i think are at least 2-3 times the price and are pretty good for closed .

But if you need a few of these for tracking excellent deal,

I also find them fun to listen on, goo phones

29th February 2012

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 by Dekker500

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

Sometimes you have to do your mixing in shared spaces, or in sub-optimal conditions, and when you find yourself facing that problem, the closed-back ATH-M50 is a great solution.

The isolation is adequate for most purposes, and the supplied 1/4" adapter is of the screw-on variety so there won't be any flimsy connection issues. Also included is a handy vinyl/leatherette storage bag. The cord comes in a curly configuration (first meter or so out of the cups is straight, curly towards the plug), but is also available in a straight version. The joint between the cord and the jack has a spring to relieve the stress. Also, the cord is heavy-duty enough that I feel it would withstand being rolled over with a chair, or stepped on repeatedly, without too much risk of damage.

As for sound quality, they are are very natural sounding, without having any exagerated areas. It seems to have a lower range to them that other headphones don't come close to, which might be why some claim they exaggerate bass. Voices sound natural through them.

They are a tad on the heavier side, relying on the headband to support some of its weight on the top of your head rather than entirely by the pressure on your ears. This is entirely subjective, though, since some like lighter pressure, and some don't want to mess with their hair do...

Overall, a nice investment.

9th March 2012

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 by Wesma

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

The Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones are closed back type headphones but they sound very open compared to other closed back headphones I have tried before. I use them a lot for crucial mixing and for tracking. They are very comfortable and I can wear them for hours and hours without getting a headache. I do however have to take some breaks every now and then because they can get rather sweaty after a while. I just hope that the padding doesn’t start to crack.

Sound wise these headphones are by far the best I ever had. The low end is very clear and overall they are very well balanced. It happens that I mix almost entire songs with these and they translate very well.
The ATH-M50’s are great for tracking. You can send out a really loud monitor signal (drummers for example like it LOUD) and there is no bleed - at least not enough to be an issue.

I almost went with a different pair of cans first because of the coiled cord but then I found out that there also was a straight version and I was happy. I just hate coiled cords.

I think that it’s very important to try out headphones before you buy because we all have very different heads. Before I went with these I was looking at another well known pair from a company that starts with a B and I just couldn’t have them on for even a minute.

16th July 2014

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 by BullHalo

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

Awesome headphones, a bit "bassy" but still kinda flat. I use them for tracking/mixing and the mixes always translate really well. Comfortable cans too.

Big minus for the non replaceable chord (the new X version has a replaceable chord though)

Big plus for the price.

26th July 2014

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 by PASSiO

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

The sound of these headphones are amazing for the price. THey are very comfortable, my ears never get overheated or irritated. THe only issue I had is that they broke after only a week or two of owning them. Sometimes I can hear a metallic noise inside the headphones, must be a loose piece of material or something. Like i said, you get what you pay for! I got them for only $130, you can't expect for an indestructible product when you only pay that much. Anyway, I would give it a 3.5 out of 5. I'd suggest paying a little more for the better version.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Audio Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search