The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
12 Gauge Microphones Green12

4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Coolest looking microphone out there!

13th December 2011

12 Gauge Microphones Green12 by PreacherX

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

I havnt had the time to REALLY test these out, but i thought i'd compare them to the pair they replaced in my studio, the Behringer C2 pair. I think they're priced about the same so it feels right to have them head to head.

Well the layout is just stunning, 12 Gauge shotgun shell as housing! That alone is worth the asked $45 bucks for it! Being a rock/metal recording studio this and the Red12 gets the most attention! Also being a rock/metal recording studio it doesnt get used as much for the things it's built for, mainly acoustic instruments. But i have tried it as Overheads on drums with great results.

Soundwise compared to the Behringer C2, i cant really say it sounded better or worse (mainly because i have not used it extensive enough). It did sound very focused and detailed, i can easily spot out all the different cymbals being used. The snare sounded nice. What i can say is that the drumset sounded more natural than the C2's which we're more hyped in the higher frequencies, so the Green12's are less harsch. To be fair i've never used the Behringers as main overheads but i have had them for a couple of years so i've gotten to know them.

The downside with the Greens is that they cant handle high SPL, so spotmicing them on a heavy hitting drummer is not possible, which is where the Behringers on the other hand did a good job. If the drummer can control his arms and not bash the cymbals they do work pretty good on hihat and ride spots if they're a couple of inches away. But beware that as soon as the drummer gets a hard hit in the mic can sound a bit crunchy.

I will have the chance to try it on acoustic guitar soon which will be a great deal of fun. And the drummer on the last recording has decided to get himself a pair aswell. And guess what, i sold the Behringers and kept the Greens.

They're not perfect, but considering the price, the design and the attention they get whenever i pull them out they are well worth the price!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... 12 Gauge Microphones Green12
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search