The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Heil PR30 Dynamic

Heil Sound PR 30

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Two words - just awesome! My new favorite mic for loud things - guitars, snares and screaming vocals

12th December 2011

Heil Sound PR 30 by daffy

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Heil PR30 Dynamic

This is my latest toy so my review is based on just a few outings, but boy this baby sure has lived up to the hype!

I guess you could call this a large diaphragm dynamic mic - when I first saw it I thought it looked like a condenser or a ribbon, and certainly not a front firing mic! They even put stickers and warning tape on it to make sure people know to point the end at the noise lol!

I picked this up on eBay for a great price but would have been quite happy to pay full price for it. I was actually travelling interstate and had my portable Tascam I/O box with me at the time (see my review of the other workhorse mics I have - the CAD M179) and so I was keen to make sure it worked ok after I picked it up.

I don't like my voice on recordings - never have. I mostly record it with an SM57 and it's ok, and I recently recorded with the CAD and it's quite nice, but the moment I played back the hotel room recording with the PR30 I was blown away. I think it has a presence hump at just the right spot for my voice, because I turned into this smooth as silk radio announcer!!! hahaha So 10 seconds in and I know I'm going to be using this baby for any spoken word stuff!

Next outing was on an electric guitar cab and it was amazing! I used it pretty much the same way as a 57 - close mic and about half way out from a speaker and it was lovely. Again, that presence peak or whatever took any harshness out of the guitar and it sat beautifully - and the louder and more annoying the guitar got, the better this mic made it sound! You could have amplified a buzzing mosquito and it would have sounded good.

The last thing I'll mention is snare - I still haven't figured out the best place to use this, but given the guitar experience I think I'll try it on the snare bottom next time. That would make it easier to mount as it's not a small mic and it took quite a bit of playing to find a spot where it would fit (Heil make a shortened version of this mic and I would LOVE one of those, but I was buying all purpose so went with the stock version) but once I did it was a great phat rock snare sound - really big and solid.

In short, I love this mic and based on my experiences with Heil gear I have just ordered a PR40 for use on kick and bass. But I am also now seriously considering ordering another one of these - I just read an article where someone used two as OVERHEADS in a Glyn Johns configuration and I am dying to try that!

I think I'm going to have to at least pop it up over a kit to see how it sounds :-)

PS: I struggled with the Ease of Use and Features criteria. This is a big mic and it was a fiddle mounting it for snare so I couldn't mark it 10, but Heil make a smaller bodied version. And it's only a one pattern mic, but it does that really well, and across lots of instruments so again it was tough.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Heil PR30 Dynamic
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search