The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MYTEK 8X192 AD/DA with FW interface

Mytek Digital 8x192 with Firewire

4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Truly astounding neutral sounding converter with stable FW interface at interesting price point

11th December 2011

Mytek Digital 8x192 with Firewire by Prahlad

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

I did extensive listening tests to find my new converter after using various other well known units. The Mytek 8X192 was the one that instantly blew me away with its incredibly stable stereo image and very neutral yet detailed and solid sound character. As my price point was around the 3000 Euro mark, including the interface, I didn't test other units above this price point.

Describing the sound of the 8X192 is easy, it sounds exactly like what you record into it, period. ITB signals sent out come out solid, tight and neutral from bass to highs. Basically a "straight wire" type converter that should not be confused with cold, boring etc. It sounds amazing but doesn't add or take anything away from your signal. If you want to use a converter to pass signals through outboard and capture only the character of the outboard, this is the unit.

I have also noticed that my mixes dramatically improved in translation after starting to use this unit. I believe now I was possibly compensating for imbalances in the previous interfaces I was using.

One major drawback (at the moment): You will need to setup direct monitoring through an external source (mixer, splitter) as there is unfortunately still no sight of the long promised direct monitoring software.

PROS:
-Amazing clear neutral and solid, but never boring, "hi end" sound
-Built in summing and "master grade" main output volume control and mute/dim
-FW interface runs stable (Win XP 32 Bit tested)
-Built like a tank

CONS:
-Not cheap, but best buy under 3000 Euro price range IMO
-Fan is relatively loud when unit runs hot, leave space free above and it wont distract you
-Still no software for setting up (latency free) monitor mixes

31st October 2013

Mytek Digital 8x192 with Firewire by Tellboy

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

Mytek 8x192 with firewire card now has real-time mixer! Review

Halleluiah!!! At last there is now a software mixer/driver available for the Mytek 8x192 with firewire card. The driver version containing the mixer software currently on the Mytek web site is 4.1.3.17357. You should be able to find it here

http://mytekdigital.com/download_lib....1.3.17357.exe

I’d also advise that you use the latest firmware for the Mytek firewire card. The current version is 3.0.1 and is available here

http://mytekdigital.com/download_lib...ini_v3.0.1.bin

Installation is simple and much the same as the original driver that didn’t have the software mixer. In fact, when you open the Mytek icon, what you see looks very similar to the old version too. However, the new version does contain four extra buttons labelled to correspond with each output of the 8x192. So we have buttons labelled “out12”, “out34”, “out56” and “out78”. A mouse click on any of these buttons produces an extended window on screen with a mixer corresponding to that output displayed. So in effect, you can produce four independent mixes, one for each stereo output. Ideal if you want independent headphone mixes for example.

Each mixer panel has strips for the eight inputs, the 8 returns from your DAW (outputs) and a master strip. You have stereo pan, fader and mute/solo controls for each strip too. Monitoring of the inputs seems to be in real-time or at least I can’t hear any discernable latency anyway.

The mixer works perfectly and I’ve had no problems at all using it once I got used to its layout etc. The driver still has WDM and ASIO support and works perfectly in Windows 7 64 bit where I have been using it for about two weeks now. The ASIO drivers work fine with my main DAW which is SONAR Producer X3.

I used to have to use my Mytek 8x192 via a Lynx AES16 PCI sound card but this firewire software update has largely made the AES16 redundant. The only thing I can do on the AES 16 that I can’t do on the Mytek firewire is any form of loop back so I can’t record an 8x192 output is if it were an input. I could use an external cable of course, but maybe this feature would be included in a future version of the software.

Maybe it is subjective, but I feel the sound via the firewire connection is even more detailed and transparent than the sound I get via the AES16 but it is really difficult to make such a judgement. All I can say is that I am so pleased to have this upgrade and it will now allow me to use my Mytek 8x192 with any computer that has firewire. The only slight issue I have had is when I tired the “lowest latency” operating mode with ASIO. I got some slight clicks and pops in the audio, but the “normal mode” works perfectly. Even running a 32 sample buffer on my i7 machine gave good results on a simple SONAR project.

Pros: It is free, it works great and it provides four independent mixes, each of any input and output combination.

Cons: no loop back so I can’t directly record an output. Slight pops in “lowest latency” mode on my machine.

All in all a great upgrade to the original Mytek 8x192 firewire driver.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... MYTEK 8X192 AD/DA with FW interface
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search