The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rode NT1-A

Rode NT1-A

3.65 3.65 out of 5, based on 37 Reviews

Very versatile cardioid condenser for a great price

30th June 2016

Rode NT1-A by Victorian Needle

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
Rode NT1-A

I recorded my first EP with this mic in late 2012 and it definitely served its purpose and was decent. But there are so many better Mics out there that should be considered. The NT1A seems to be the go to for the budget studio and is very common starting out. I've seen it featured in music videos of new artists, and some have had a decent amount of commercial success. I think it's an excellent mic for voice recording but not so much for vocals. You can low pass some of the highs but I've found so much trouble when adding reverb that the harshness follows through with the pre delay that I do not get with other Mics. Harshness and not really that smooth is my biggest complaints but by all means if on a budget I would recommend it. My first single was a cover of Putting On The Ritz that has done very well on Pandora and the vocals were recorded with this microphone. All in all, not the best, but it has its place for the budget.

8th July 2016

Rode NT1-A by sweetberryjuice

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Rode NT1-A

Oh. Hot. Damn.
I sold my Blue Bluebird after realizing that it completely changed my voice to sound extremely bright and as if I had bumped the EQ massively. This microphone sounded true and natural to my vocals, but brought out my vocal features in a very flattering way that complemented them. It accentuated and brought out the unique characteristics and quality of my vocals, and had an incredible sound. I was afraid that it wouldn't do my voice justice, but it really is amazing. So far I've used it on guitars and vocals, and it really is incredible. This is suitable for pro studios as well as home studios. Save your time and go get this, I know I won't be buying any expensive microphones anytime soon.

28th January 2017

Rode NT1-A by Solderon

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Rode NT1-A

(NT-1A pair) 10 years in my locker

Still a good budget LDC which has had some strange reviews. Not a Chinese capsule as sometimes stated, but Australian throughout and better and more consistent quality than many other cheap LDCs with hit-or-miss capsules sourced from PRC.

Highs can indeed sound a bit harsh in some circumstances but care and some experimentation with positioning and angle can help. If it really does sound awful either it's damaged (Rode customer service is excellent) or it's the wrong mic for the job, and there are much more expensive examples of that.

As for pops and other noises, like any other non RF condenser, it doesn't like moisture which can be an issue if not properly stored or transported. Other than that it is relatively robust and not too heavy for a cheap mic stand.

I've used them as a stereo pair and for instruments, overheads, voice overs and some vocals (and changed mic PDQ for others). The low noise and high output are a bonus for those using budget recorders and cheap preamps.

There are much better LDCs but they cost more.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search