The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Great River ME-1NV

Great River Electronics ME-1NV

5 5 out of 5, based on 4 Reviews

A solidly built, Made In USA microphone preamplifier.

9th December 2011

Great River Electronics ME-1NV by yapz

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Great River ME-1NV

Legendary newsman David Brinkley was known to have a deep appreciation for tools because, as he put it, "A tool is designed to do one thing ... and it does it." I think Brinkley, were he an audio enthusiast, would have had a deep appreciation for the Great River ME-1NV -- for it is a finely crafted tool that does one thing -- amplify the output of a microphone to the degree that it becomes usable ...

But it does it in more than just one way.

Dan Kennedy's battleship-solid box is a sort of multitasking audio sampler -- in the Whitman's sense of the word ... thanks to circuitry that tips its hat to the good Mr. Neve and his brainchildren -- but also because Dan incorporated a clever way to access the generous iron dosage contained in the Sowter transformer you'll find inside. Using both the input and output pot in tandem, the ME-1NV allows you to manipulate the amount of "iron in the path" signal saturation you desire. Some prefer to use such descriptors as "clean" and "dirty" when assessing the extremes of transformer saturation; I opt for "pristine" and "colored." [That just sounds nicer.]

Two other switches also offer additional aural nuances as well -- Impedance and Loading. Without delving into the engineering and physics particulars here, suffice it to say that these two features, when engaged [or disengaged], do alter the sound output's character ever so slightly. In this particular case, options are a good thing.

Of course the thing has phantom power -- and a polarity reversal switch -- and an excellent Hi-Z input as well. But it also has a secondary output on the back: A 1/4", unbalanced, -10 dbu, tip-sleeve jack that Dan placed there for zero-latency DAW monitoring. But there's one more thing that makes this secondary output even more interesting: Unlike the main XLR-jacked output, this quarter-incher's output is pre-transformer. So although it doesn't have the full force & fury of the +4 main, that secondary output does represent yet another access point to a slightly different aural presentation. Why? No transformer, hence less iron in the path. Yet another bonus.

The ME-1NV isn't a full-blown channel strip, but it isn't just a "one trick pony" mic pre either. There's a lot going on under the hood, and while YMMV, every sonic mile you're going to log while driving the ME-1NV connected to the microphone of your choice is guaranteed to be rewarding and enjoyable.

Last edited by Jules; 9th December 2011 at 10:26 AM..

5th January 2012

Great River Electronics ME-1NV by henge

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Great River ME-1NV

We all respect Mr. Neve for designing fabulous gear! And I respect small companies that improve on Rupert's designs and make affordable gear! Great River is one such company.They manufacture and distribute from their factory in Minnesota. Gotta love that!

I needed a great mic pre and after doing a ton of research I settled on the Great River ME-1NV, a single channel pre inspired by the 1073. I love this thing. I sleep with it under my pillow and due to its solid construction it has caused very uncomfortable nights sleeps.

Very simple yet powerful controls grace the front of a sturdy dark grey 1/2 rack box. The front panel has a Hi-Z input, a gain knob stepped in 5 db increments to 60db, an output level with maximum overall gain to 70db. As well as 4 switches, Polarity, Impedance, Phantom power and Loading. Input and Output meters and the power button finish off the front panel. The rear contains the input the power cable (no wall wart), mic in and out on xlr , a -10dbv output on ¼ inch and finally a TRS patch point. The manual is short and very helpful with lots of great tips. If you’re interested in this pre I suggest you head over to their site and read the manual to get all the ins and out of this piece.

All mic sources have a solidity and clarity that you’d expect from a high quality pre. Very easy to record and the sounds are easy to place and work with. The range of sounds that can be achieved using the input and output controls is remarkable. Drive the input harder and lower the out put for more “character” to the sound. The Loading and impedance buttons will affect the tone as well.

I love this pre on bass. It’s a great DI even though it’s a pre. TONS of fatness to be had by using the input and output controls. Teamed up with the electronics in my Ken Smith, I can achieve a ton of great sounds with out touching an EQ..

I re-amped some guitars through it and the ME-1NV added a solidity to the sound that was, for lack of a better term, pro. Again this product will make everything easier to work with. The only downside is I now want to go back and run everything through it!!
Addendum to original review...I bought another ME1NV!! heh

Products

22nd January 2012

Great River Electronics ME-1NV by IGive'nTakeInfo

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Great River ME-1NV

Pro's: It's not trying to be a 1073. It's newer and better. built like a tank and unlike pacifica, it has a trim pot. The direct monitoring output is and should be a must on every pre amp like this for the home studio user who doesnt employ PT HD and has latency when recording. Match this with a GR EQ and you have yourself a very powerful front end I am selling mine only to upgrade to a 2nV.

12th April 2018

Great River Electronics ME-1NV by ttattwa

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Great River ME-1NV

I've been recording with a couple of these Great Rivers for many years now, from vocals to guitars and bass, also synths thru its DI, and everything sounds absolutely beautiful.

I've never tried a vintage Neve preamp, but I have the feeling that the vintage units sound more "old" and a bit more colored than this, but that's not to say anything bad about the GR. It breaths high quality everywhere, it looks beautiful, it will outlast me because of how well it is made.

Sound is deep, 3d, clear, full of harmonics, and you can dial it clean or full of color if you want with just 2 knobs. I am recently starting to experiment with the impedance and load buttons, just compare the different positions on each source and decide.

Overall, a great buy, highly recommended for everything.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Great River ME-1NV
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search