The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Adk a-51 tc

ADK Microphones A-51 TC

3.5 3.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Not quite a workhorse, but sounds great on the right vocalist.

9th December 2011

ADK Microphones A-51 TC by iipeacefrog

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
Adk a-51 tc

If you're looking for an extremely hyped but great sounding microphone, the ADK TC is right for you. Powered by a 6072 tube, this mic can deliver that crisp but warm sound that can be just the ticket for cutting through a dense mix.

It is, however a bit of a one trick pony. It's a fixed cardioid pattern mic, which means there are no switchable polar patterns (very useful in a variety of applications). It also is lacking a 10db pad switch and bass roll off switch. This mic also has a tendency to distort very quickly (desirable in some cases, as it's a tube mic).

Furthermore, it has an extremely hyped high end response, which can sound great on the right vocalist, but has a tendency to sound a bit thin (in my opinion) on things like acoustic guitars.

In short, I would not recommend this mic as your first venture into the world of tube microphones. It does sound nice, but it has a pretty limited range of applications. If you're looking for a great all purpose workhorse tube mic in the same range, I would strongly recommend the M-Audio Sputnik. That's been my personal favorite for years.

If you're looking to add an interesting color to an already decent mic closet, GET THIS MIC! It may be just what you're looking for....

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Adk a-51 tc
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search