The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blackspade UM17

4.9 4.9 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Fantastic new player in the microphone world: fairly neutral but still with a warm vintage-y vibe to it.

8th December 2011

by heimaufnahme

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

Fantastic new player in the microphone world: fairly neutral but still with a warm vintage-y vibe to it. Very well-built as well. Comes in a nice wooden box within a sturdy aluminium case. Mine came with a replacement capsule as well. Based on the Telefunken AK47 Oliver Archut apparently developed it further to make it closer to a U47 type microphone.
I used to own a vintage U87. I sold it and got this mic instead - and won't look back. It is so great on acoustic instruments that I need hardly any or no eq-ing for my instruments in a crappy room. It sounds round and full but still clear. Needless to say that it is fantastic on vocals since it is a U47-based mic.

21st December 2011

by Crunkle

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

The UM17 is one of those mics you can just grab and put in front of just about anything and it sounds fantastic. I've been happy with the results using it for clean guitar amps, male and female vocals, steel string guitar, cello, various percussion instruments, and as a mono overhead on drum kit. Controlled proximity effect and fairly tight pick-up in cardioid pattern make it super easy to place. Doesn't have an overly gooey tube sound- really clear with that tube "something" at the ends of the spectrum. Defined and articulate mid-range. Every polar pattern has a nice-sounding response. Doesn't have the overly-fast response of too-thin diaphragm modern mics. A very useful recording tool that is pleasingly musical, without having such a signature that you would hesitate to reach for it. Oliver Archut designed it. I dinged one point for "ease of use" because the shock-mount sucks bad- it's effective but the two thumbscrews are a super huge pain to tighten. I'll be getting in touch with Tab to order the Rycote shock-mount they ship with the UM17R. I like this mic so much I might have it upgraded with the Thiersch capsule and USA PSU. Totally worth the money.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Blackspade UM17
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search