The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sennheiser MKH-40

Sennheiser MKH 40

4 4 out of 5, based on 1 Review

The Sennheiser MKH-40 might be considered a "sleeper" mic; it features very low noise, an extremely flat frequency response, and classy sound that somehow sounds "well recorded". It is a first choice mic for acoustic guitars and drum overheads in my experience. The price tag is a bit high, but these mics deliver the goods.

7th December 2011

Sennheiser MKH 40 by joedoc

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Sennheiser MKH-40

The Sennheiser MKH-40 is a world-class small diaphragm condenser mic that continues to surprise me every time I try it out on a new instrument. I have used it for choir recordings in less-than-perfect rooms (the wide-ish cardioid pattern "dried up" the room compared to a pair of omnis), unusual drums and percussion (also excellent as a pair for drum overheads), violins, acoustic guitars, upright bass, and even wound up with a "keeper" vocal when a singer was inspired and ready to go, and the MKH-40 was ready to go in the studio. It wouldn't be my first choice for vocals, but did a fine job when put on the spot.

This microphone's one serious downside is it's sensitivity to wind/breaths, especially from the side. A nose-exhale from an acoustic guitar player can cause rumbles that ruin the take. Double up on pop filters to block booger blasts.

The MKH40 may not be cheap, but if you want a no-compromise SDC mic then put this one on the short list.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Sennheiser MKH-40
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search