The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shure Beta WB98H/C + MX1BP pre

Shure WB98H/C

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

A nice complimentary pair, produces great sound.

7th December 2011

Shure WB98H/C by abe2012

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Shure Beta WB98H/C + MX1BP pre

The Beta WB98H/C is the wireless version of the Beta 98H/C. It has a five foot thin cable which ends in a 4-pin mini connecter which connects to wireless bodypack transmitters. The Beta98H/C ends in a regular xlr connecter and has a preamp attached along the wire. The WB98H/C does not come with a preamp. It is meant to plug directly into the wireless bodypack. However one can purchase a separate Shure preamp (MX1BP) which has an input for the 4 pin mini connecter and a 12 foot cable which ends in a regular male xlr connecter.
My mic is the wireless WB98H/C. I wanted the flexibility of being able to use it with or without a wireless transmitter, so I purchased the MX1BP preamp as well. Most of the time I use it with the preamp. The preamp is battery powered (by a regular 9v battery). If you have phantom power, it automatically bypasses the preamp circuitry and users the mixers pre. It also has a mute /on switch to prevent loud clicks while connecting the mic.
The WB98H/C is really a great piece. Very easy to use - just clip it right on. The flexible gooseneck allows for quick and easy positioning. It even comes with a gooseneck angle brace to hold the shape exactly where you want it. They also include a small round gadget which you can wind the wire around so it doesn't get caught anywhere.
The sound is excellent. Very accurate all around. The highs are very clear. And it captures the lows really nicely without getting boomy. Important to keep in mind, being that it is a condenser, the sound depends highly on the quality of the preamp. While recording a bit on a cheap mixer using the mixers pre, I noticed a big drop in clarity and accuracy of the recording. But when I turned off the mixers phantom power and used the MX1BP pre, it sounded the way a good mic should. So this pair (wb98h/c + mx1bp) works out really nice together.
At around $150-$200 for the mic and another $50 or so for the pre, I wouldn't call it cheap. But you definitely get your money's worth.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Shure Beta WB98H/C + MX1BP pre
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search