The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akg c214

AKG C214

4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 11 Reviews

The AKG C214 is a great vocal mic for people with a less-than-hi-end budget.

7th December 2011

AKG C214 by joe_04_04

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Akg c214

I purchased the AKG C214 for my first large diaphragm condenser mic months ago because I needed a decent vocal mic for a great deal. The mic was suggested to me by Eyal Amir of Project RnL who owned a AKG C414. He was the first one to tell me that that the C214 used the same capsule as the C414, but was cheaper and more affordable because the polarity on the C214 was fixed at Cardioid. This was perfect for me because I intend to only ever record one vocalist at a time.

When I first got it, I plugged it in and noticed that the mic gave my vocals more "clarity" than any of the previous mics I had been using for vocals (all sub-par mics). Another term that comes to mind about this mic is "fat." It seemed to give my vocals a sense of thickness where other mics I had used sounded thin and weak. Out of my own speculation, I feel that this "thickness" is due to the fact its a mic from the classic era. One thing I noticed about this mic was that it inherently had a bit of a darker tone. It requires a bit of upper midrange EQ, but besides that it, it doesn't need much more of anything else from EQ.

Overall, I love the mic. I've used it on vocals, acoustic guitars, and random percussion such as tambourines and maracas and such. It works well on everything. So having the same great tone quality as the C414 in cardioid mode, and being half the price, I'd say this mic was the best option for me. I love it and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great home studio mic.

Last edited by joe_04_04; 2nd August 2015 at 08:15 AM..

23rd February 2012

AKG C214 by nugznmugz

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Akg c214

AKG's website claims that the 214 uses a single diaphragm, cardioid only version of a 414 capsule. I've read elsewhere that it's actually similar to a 3000 and made to SOUND LIKE a 414. You know what?

WHO CARES?! These mics sound awesome. There's a hi-pass filter and a -20db pad. They come in a nice road case, with shock mounts and clips, and an optional stereo bar.

I've used these with pleasure as drum overheads, on horns, guitar cabs, and female vocals, and a number of acoustic string instruments too. I've also used them as room mics and in XY for field recordings. They've been great in all the applications I can throw at them. I find myself jumping to these mics consistently and without any apprehension about "what it'll sound like".

The only reason I give them a 7 in "Features" is because they'll undoubtedly be put up against 414s at some point. They're cardioid only, there's no pattern switching here. The hi-pass only has one position and the pad is only -20db.

But for $200 less than a single 414 you can have a matched pair of these badboys. If you need great stereo set of LDCs on a budget, I'd say give these a shot, you won't be disappointed.

28th February 2012

AKG C214 by This Is Barcode

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Akg c214

These mics were somewhat of a big purchase for myself and my project studio but my what an investment!!!

First off the basics, great sturdy flight case, nice protection inside for the mics and easy assembly in cradle wise. Spot on from AKG in this respect.

Price wise, I could not complain. I said a "big purchase" for me but I am a project studio owner and most of my normal job income goes on bills so secretly splashing out £650 on these behind the girlfriends back wasn't easy. For the money though, I feel these punch well above their weight.

I bought them to act as overheads for drums but also to act as an option for vocals and acoustic guitar. The dynamic range of 143dB and pre-attenuation pad to increase the microphone's headroom by 20dB was something that caught my eye as I record drums in a small booth and tend to have LOUD drummers and didn't want to buy mics that wouldn't be able to handle the house.

Another great feature is the bass roll off filter to take away some of the drum/bass rumble I tend to pickup in my booth. I have recently started leaving the filter on to pick up some extra drums and not mic'ing the toms to test my EQ'ing, the C214's features give you many options.

Overall, the build quality and features AKG have incorporated into the C214 is second to none in my eyes and the sound quality goes hand in hand with this. The features on the microphones give me a number of options for different instruments and the the C214's can be used in many applications such as drum overheads, vocals, strings and even guitar amps.

A MUST HAVE FOR ANY PROJECT STUDIO OWNER!!!

5th March 2012

AKG C214 by mischultz

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
Akg c214

This is a short review of the AKG C214 microphone, which I picked up in a trade two months ago. The mic comes with a sturdy, compact carrying case, foam windscreen, and AKG's somewhat less sturdy H85 shockmount. The mount does have a rather fragile vibe about it, but so long as you're not abusive, I don't see it ever being a serious concern. Anyway, I've had a chance to listen to the mic on a variety of instruments in a fairly nice live room (Innovason/Crown/Danley) and with a C414B-ULS for direct comparison. My C214 has become a go-to mic for spot work on percussion and strings. It feels a little smoother on top than the 414 and unquestionably fuller than the 391s which are the primary small condenser option for this venue. I’m looking forward to recording acoustic guitar with the 214: I don’t expect it will be a true image in the DPA sense, but I’m betting the AKG’s smooth presence will work as a complementary voice to my Guild’s dimensional jangle. To my ear this mic has a somewhat better midrange than some of the other mics in this price range and the more compact form factor does give some additional flexibility in positioning. I believe it’s a solid value and wouldn’t mind at all having one or two more for both live and recording purposes.

24th March 2012

AKG C214 by NicoPlettMusic

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
Akg c214

I am just a beginner but this is so easy to use! I heard great things about the 414 but I couldn't afford one. But this mic is fantastic! I am just starting up but there have been sooooooooo many people much more experienced than me who have suggested and raved about this mic so I will too!

22nd April 2012

AKG C214 by waitingonatrain

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Akg c214

I've used the C214 mics mainly as a stereo overhead pair on drums, and they are superb sounding mics, not at all harsh, really smooth frequency range, and promote a really accurate warm recording. I've also heard the same set used on guitar and vocal recordings very effectively. I've also used them in a Recorderman configuration on the drumset which allowed a really natural drumsound with each voice nicely balanced giving an accurate representation of the dynamics of the overall kit ,without having to necessarily use any other mics.

The only thing I find a little annoying with this particular set is they came in individual cases instead of the one case, a very trivial thing really, and nothing to do with the mics themselves.

Yeah great mics!

17th July 2012

AKG C214 by _Mark

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Akg c214

I got mine from Guitar Center, for $353 after tax, through a price beat.

First impression:
It was quite a bit smaller than I expected, but that doesn't really matter. Upon picking it up, the microphone you can easily tell was very well built, which entails durability, of course.

Sound Quality:
I can't really compare it to any other condenser, as this is my first large diaphragm'd condenser, but I think it sounds great. It has a really nice, shimmering top end, moving down in the mids real pleasant, and pleasant lows. From what I can tell, it seems to be fitting to just about any voice/instrument.
Other than vocals, my favorite it to use it on is overhead/cymbal mic'ing. The frequency response of it fits the bill just right.

Ease of use:
You plug it in, you do your thing. Other than that, there's two switches: High pass filter, which rolls of 160 hZ; and -20 dB pad, for loud sources.

Features:
I'm giving it a 9 on this... Only because of its cardioid pick up pattern. There are some microphones in the price range that have this.. However, I guess it's good enough.

Bang for buck:
Great sound, and a great price.

Overall:
Worth every penny! Comes with a nice flight case, and windscreen (that I don't use).

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

Mark

26th August 2013

AKG C214 by dans595

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
Akg c214

Before buying this microphone, I did quite a few searches through Gearslutz.com and generally around the web. I was looking for a general consensus on "the best vocal microphone for under $500." The microphone which gleaned the most positive recommendations in this respect was the AKG C214.

Some reviews lead you to believe that the C214 is like its famous big brother, the C414, but without multiple pickup patterns (it instead has a fixed cardiod pattern). I don't have a C414, but my guess is that this is false, based solely on how the C214 sounds.

I got mine for $329 new on ebay.

Packaging / Accessories:

When I opened the box, I was pleased to see a beautiful hard case with metal trim and two guitar-case style latches. Inside was an egg-crate style foam enclosure which held in place the microphone, the shockmount, and an optional windscreen piece. Every detail exuberated quality.

Basic features / Quality:

The microphone is a beautiful dark gray color and felt sturdy and heavy in the hand (in a decidedly good way). It was actually a bit smaller than I expected. The microphone has a built in hi-pass filter and 20dB pad options. These are featured in small switches on either side of the microphone. They can easily be switched with the finger.

The shockmount also seemed perfectly sturdy and serviceable. I didn't have a need for the windscreen.

Sonic character:

Well, here's the real meat of the review. What does this reputable microphone sound like? Compared to my other condensers, I found the microphone to be very quiet and quite sensitive. This translated to, for the first time in my case, loud and clear vocal recordings with absolutely dead-quiet space in between vocal parts. I even found a noise gate to be unnecessary. I loved this about the microphone.

Like most microphones in this price range, the high end does come through a lot. It was most certainly not harsh. I found the lower frequencies to be a little bit under represented by comparison to, say, an SM7B. In all other frequency ranges than the low, the microphone seemed fairly detailed/clear. Ultimately, on my voice, I prefer the SM7B.

I had posted a dry vocal sample through the C214 on the web for scrutiny and one comment said, to the effect, that the microphone sounded like a cheap Chinese LDC.. which it is. Take that for what it is worth. You won't be getting Neumann tone out of this microphone, but for the price, it definitely performs.

I also used the microphone for recording a guitar amplifier at various distances: from 1/2 to 5 feet away. For this application, I don't think the microphone excelled.

Final impression:

The microphone didn't sweep me off my feet in terms of its sonic character. I think it produced a completely satisfactory signal in any case. I feel like this is a microphone that any engineer should have a few of around, and it just might be the best condenser mic in its price range. My only caveat is that the low end is under represented and this gave an overall unclarity to the sound. I've tried to be honest with the pros and cons, and I ultimately think that this is a good buy.

4th September 2013

AKG C214 by telemann70s

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
Akg c214

I purchased this microphone about 6 months ago as an upgrade from my AT2020 ($100 condenser mic. I really wanted to get the AKG C414 XLII but I just couldn't justify the $1,099 price tag.) Knowing that I would only end up using the cardioid pattern and knowing that the C214 has the same capsule as the C414 and that the C214 is also made in Austria, it seemed like a "no brainer" for $379.00, so I pulled the trigger! I was happy to know that it had a switchable attenuation 20dB pad, this comes particularly handy when dealing with loud sources such as a guitar amp. It also has a bass cut filter which is perfect for close-up recording without having a "proximity effect". This microphone excels for vocals, acoustic guitars and guitar amps. So far I'm pairing it with a Groove tube brick preamp and I'm very happy with the results. If I had to describe the sound of this microphone it would have to be: A very clean yet ballsy sound without any harshness, very smooth. For the price you can't beat this microphone, it is a great addition to any studio, whether it is a project or professional studio, its applications are endless in my opinion.

1 day ago

AKG C214 by CPhoenix

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.25
Akg c214

I had this mic for a couple of months. It was an upgrade since my AKG Perception 120 finally bit the dust. Perception was my first mic, so obviously you're always partial to the first brand you buy, which lead me to the C214. After gaining experience with the P120, I noticed it had a sibilance that I constantly had to correct with a Deesser. I'm boneheaded so it took me a while to realize this was a mic issue and not the norm (doesn't everybody need extreme deessing? lol). This sibilance was even more pronounced when I improved my acoustic environment and could really hear the mic, so I was happy it broke b/c it gave me an excuse to upgrade.

Enter the C214. I really wanted to like this mic, but I found that this mic also has some significant sibilance. It was more of the same. I ended up selling ita few months later because I found myself using my SM57 way more. Later, I ran into several threads of people experiencing the same thing and attributing it to AKG's lower cost offerings being manufactured in China as opposed to their Germany location where the good stuff is made. It made sense... both the Perception and C214 shared a similar sonic deficiency.

Honestly, if you're in this price range I think you're better off going with an SM57, a Rode NT1a or an AT2020. I can vouch for the SM57, but you need a good high-gain, low noise preamp to drive it. So if you don't have that, I would recommend NT1a or AT2020 based on reviews I've read since making this buy. C214 is not a terrible choice... but you can do better for the same money or less.

I record hiphop, spoken word, and r&b vocals only. I do not mic up instruments, so my above review contemplates only vocals.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search