The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Overstayer Stereo Dynamics Processor

Overstayer Stereo Dynamics Processor (SDP)

4.9 4.9 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

The Overstayer Stereo Dynamics Processor (SDP) is the newest offering from the Overstayer Co. It's a VCA stereo compressor with a single set of ganged controls and a lot of features and versatility.

6th December 2011

Overstayer Stereo Dynamics Processor (SDP) by Rob Coates

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

The new Overstayer Stereo Dynamics Processor (SDP) is the latest offering from Overstayer. The Overstayer company is a one man operation and maker of boutique outboard analog studio gear and is built entirely in the U.S. Their original Overstayer was a FET comp and has gotten lots of praise and accolades. The SDP is a VCA comp that has some very cool and unique features. There is a built in high pass filter that prevents the low frequencies from dominating the process. The high pass filter can be defeated with what's called a "grab" control. The high pass filter and grab control are the next best thing to having a multi-band compressor. Then there's the "Behavior" control. It's hard to describe what the behavior control does but it makes the comp capable of gentle transparent compression or radical non-linear smashing of the signal. I've never encountered anything like what the behavior control does on any other comp I've ever used. Another really useful feature that is unavailable on any other comp that I'm aware of is the "Blend" control. This control facilitates parallel compression by merely turning a knob. Before getting this comp, it used to take me 10 minutes or longer to set up my console for parallel compression. While these features are really useful, you might be wondering, "How does it sound?" The answer is, it sounds great! It can be as clean or as dirty as you want. Can go from transparent to VERY IN YOUR FACE with just a few tweaks of the knobs. While it has only 2 ratio choices, I actually prefer having fewer well chosen choices so I don't have to waste time debating what ratio to use. Metering is simple but effective. Best of all is the $500 or so price tag as in my opinion, the SDP beats out compressors that cost much more. I've probably had and/or demoed 30 to 40 different comps in the past 10 years ranging in price from a couple hundred to a couple thousand. In my opinion, the SDP beats them all! Simply an amazing compressor at any price. In addition, Overstayer customer service is way above and beyond the usual.

9th December 2011

Overstayer Stereo Dynamics Processor (SDP) by BlueSky_Case

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

When I see the phrase 'bang for your buck' i think of products like this. I bought this unit as well as the FET. I'm extremely happy with my purchases! It complements the FET so well. The VCA is super clean and adds a nice sparkle to everything you run through it. I used it earlier today on acoustic guitar with some super results-has a really nice way of rounding the bottom and top. Using it tomorrow for drums and can't wait to see what it does! The blend function is a great idea in design: I like to put the blend on 10 and then trim it back a little bit to taste. The Behavior nob...just plain fun! Some compressors I've used seem kinda of touchy, but this one is great-You can really dial the attack and release in. I've yet to use the it on the master channel which brings me to the absolute only draw back for me. It doesn't have quarter inch outs-not a really big deal (especially at the price point!), but that would be really nice for setting up. The reason I haven't used it on a buss is because I only have quarter inch outs on my presonus (not the best). Overall this is one of the most insanely awesome units I own

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Overstayer Stereo Dynamics Processor
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search