The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Carillon Axis 70

Carillon Axis 70

4 4 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Will this become the new Sm57 of Ribbon microphones? Certainly a sound that exceeds its price.

6th December 2011

Carillon Axis 70 by MTStudios

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Carillon Axis 70

The Axis 70 is a budget Ribbon microphone modelled after the Royers R121. It’s essentially a pretty standard ribbon mic, nothing much going on inside it by modern standards – no internal preamps or anything. You WILL need to crank the gain on these.

For the price there’s no reason not to have one or two of these, but it’s certainly no Royers or even a Peluso version of the same design. There’s some weird mid range thing going on, and a slightly pinched sound between 2 and 4kHz. Sometimes it works well by itself on a guitar, sometimes not. Some arrangements this mic just wont make the guitar take up enough space in the mix. Sometimes the ‘issues’ on this mic fit perfectly for the part.

As a drum overhead these are pretty great, and a good thing to have around just as an alternative to the typical SDC overhead setup.

There’s a few mods out there on the web involving changing out the transformers on these mics. I personally haven’t tried any of them myself, but they spec pretty well, look very easy, and could potentially reduce some of the sonic issues mentioned earlier.

My suggestion is, if you want to experiment with unusual ribbon mic placements, or put one in a risky place, use one of these.
They really are the Sm57's of ribbon microphones!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Carillon Axis 70
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search