The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Electro-Voice The Cardinal

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

A fine microphone well suited for home and professional setup.

5th December 2011

Electro-Voice The Cardinal by cc1sound

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

The EV Cardinal designed by Blue, is a cardioid condenser microphone. An attractive piece sporting a cherry finished hardwood shell, and a 2” grill it is attached to a fairly useful swivel mount. While designed for vocal work, this sturdy tool lends itself well to instrument recording in the studio. With a frequency response of 35-20,000 Hz an SPL of 150 db, and a dynamic range of 124 db, many drum sessions have successfully incorporated the Cardinal. Used as over head, hi-hat and even on toms, this mic seems like an easy first choice. In Spite of its handsome vintage look, I was drawn to a female vocal recording with the Cardinal that I discovered on the internet. It was this catchy Jazz vocal that roped me in. My first use
was as a room mic capturing hand percussion into a portable digital multitrack recorder. Bongos, claves, and even a donkey call were all thrown at this thing and a warm smooth character prevailed. While I have yet to try vocals on it, I already know it will be well suited to the task. I think it will become a mainstay in my Mic Locker and I would not hesitate to recommend it. This fine piece of gear can be easily found for under $150.00.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Electro-Voice The Cardinal
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search