The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Peluso CEMC6 Stereo Kit

Peluso Microphones CEMC-6 Stereo Kit

4 4 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Nice for acoustic instruments

5th December 2011

Peluso Microphones CEMC-6 Stereo Kit by gehauser

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Peluso CEMC6 Stereo Kit

The Peluso CEMC6 is a solid-state small diaphragm cardioid condenser microphone. The mics have multiple pad and bass rolloff settings, but I use them without either engaged. The capsules can be swapped with additional capsules (not included). Available caps have omni-directional, cardioid, wide cardioid, or hyper-cardioid patterns. Important: Make sure you specify your mic serial numbers when purchasing omni caps, as there was a change to coarser threads in later mics, and you want to be sure you get caps with threads that match your mics.

I use the CEMC6s for recording acoustic guitars and other stringed instruments (old-time banjo, mandolin). The CEMC6 sound has a full but tight low end, smooth mids, and somewhat hyped but not unpleasant upper mids. They have a very clear, detailed sound overall. The mics in my stereo pair are so close in level across the frequency response that I cannot tell them apart in blind tests. I also have a pair of SM81s, which to my ears have a boomier, less-controlled bottom end, and punchier but more rounded upper mids compared to the CEMC6s.

The CEMC6 frequency response rises gradually from low mids to high mids, with a mild, rounded peak at about 7k Hz. This imparts a crisp sound, but not overly bright or edgy in most (but not all) situations. When used on a flatpicked steel string guitar with new strings over hardwood floors, the sound can be too “steely”, so I avoid use of it in these situations, or I put a rug under the performer and mic. Same goes for a finger-picker using steel picks. However, the CEMC6s, especially in a stereo configuration, are absolutely perfect for a fingerpicker using his fingers, where it is important to bring out all the detail and nuance in a performance as well as the harmonics of the instrument. The CEMC6s are my first choice for this style. They also shine on a deeper voiced, flatpicked guitar with dead strings. For example, I use the CEMC6s on flatpicked Martin guitars a lot, but I prefer my SM81s on most Taylor guitars.

John Peluso is good to work with. He has been professional and responsive in my customer support requests. I had a minor problem with one of the shockmounts in the kit, and he sent me a new one right out and told me there was no need to return the old one. I had another problem with mismatched threads on the omni caps I bought a couple years after I bought the mics, and he replaced those with caps having the finer threads matching my mics.

Last edited by gehauser; 5th December 2011 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: clarification

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Peluso CEMC6 Stereo Kit
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search