The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shure Beta 98D/S

Shure Beta 98D/S

3.9 3.9 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

The Beta 98D/S is a high performance mini-condenser microphone designed to excel on toms, snares and percussion instruments.

5th December 2011

Shure Beta 98D/S by beau_mckee

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Shure Beta 98D/S

The Beta 98D is a relatively new microphone designed by Shure.
It is a mini condenser microphone designed to excel on toms, snares and percussion instruments. Because they are still relatively new, these microphones have somewhat flown under the radar but have found a regular place in my studio excelling on tom duties and also for live use.

The 98D has a great amount of articulation, punchy lows and plenty of clarity in the higher frequencies. The super small design of the microphone makes getting into tight places a breeze around the drumkit, and sounds fantastic on toms, floor and snare drum. The clip mount design is sturdy and durable, and allows for tight precision positioning. This microphone handles rejection beautifully, which is a big point score in my books. The shure Beta 98D also takes nicely to drastic eq if the occasion arises.

5th December 2011

Shure Beta 98D/S by Roland

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 2 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
Shure Beta 98D/S

The Beta 98 is the reincarnation of the original SM98. The new design is somewhat sturdier than the original in that it doesn't feature the fragile plastic cage windscreen of the older model.

Soundwise it gives that good, clean, condenser sound, with plenty of high frequency that dynamics tend to loose. On the slightly negative side, it doesn't provide quite the same "full bodied" experience that microphones like the Sennheiser 421, or even things like the Sennheiser 604's. Granted I'm comparing dynamic with condenser, however it is up to the user to decide which they prefer for particular applications.

As mentioned in the previous review, it is easy to position due to it's flexible gooseneck mount, and this is a real bonus where room is tight. The clamp mount is extremely sturdy and gets my vote for the best tom mount available, however, the clamp arrangement does mean that it is not so easy to get on and off a kit in a real hurry, not a problem in studio situations or for one band set-up's.

The weakest point about the mic is the miniature xlr connector that fit's into the back of the mic. I have heard several anecdotal reports of these failing on the road, so the mic does need to be treated with extra care. The cable from the mic to the regular xlr is fairly long and thin, so this also needs to be looked after.

If you are fine with the above issues, I would recommend the mic for drum mounted use, with the caveat that you should also check out other options from the likes of Audix, Beyer, Sennheiser, etc. Drum mic's tend to be quite a personal thing and even amongst professional engineers they elicit strong dividing lines.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Shure Beta 98D/S
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search