The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beyer M-88

Beyerdynamic M88

4.4 4.4 out of 5, based on 5 Reviews

High quality hypercardioid dynamic microphone. The "Phil Collins" mic.

5th December 2011

Beyerdynamic M88 by John Eppstein

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
Beyer M-88

One of the best dynamic microphones in the world. Like the E/V RE-20 this mic will beat condenser mics costing 2-3 times the price.

Originally designed as a vocal mic - you've seen it used by the likes of Phil Collins, David Bowie, and Pat Benetar - it has become one of the world's most popular kick drum mics due to its extremely high SPL rating and excellent low end. Beyer has claimed that any two of these mics can be used as a matched stereo pair, the QC is that good. This mic is also a favorite for horns and electric instrument cabinets and will work well on anything you care to use it on.

The only reason I gave it a 9 in features rather than a 10 is the lack of a bass rolloff switch, which to me is unimportant as such switches should really only be employed to remove LF wind noise or mechanical rumble and really shouldn't be engaged in normal applications.

Extended response with a very smooth presence peak. Very high resistance to feedback due to its tight hypercardiod pattern.

Along with the M-201 this mic uses Beyer's unique Hostaphan diaphragm material which delivers superior range and detail. The mic uses a humbucking coil for hum rejection. The "TG" version features a ruggedized screen assembly for onstage use.

Not the cheapest dynamic mic but definitely worth every penny and more.

If you could only have one microphone this one would do the job. A true "desert island" mic.

30th September 2013

Beyerdynamic M88 by SebBass

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Beyer M-88

Simply amazing mic that has a superb grain on the low end, and will capture anything along the spectrum with it's own touch. If the SM57 needs a dynamic counterpart, this is it folks.

More coloured then the RE20, and a much broader frequency response then the 57, more forgiving then the SM7B I've put it up against, the mic responded ridiculously well in the applications I threw it at - a bass cab set to "broil", and a lead vocal track. I could actually feel the preamp, yamaha 01V96k wasn't delivering all the mic was offering.

Nice build quality - hefty, you know you've got something engineered in your hands.

Kudos Beyer !

30th September 2013

Beyerdynamic M88 by Voivodinevampyr

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
Beyer M-88

Either on "soundcraftsmen" demand or geek counselling, Beyer Dynamic worked on a new M88, aiming at improving temporal response.

Supposedly, it handles better the transients and what's sure is transients are sharp through, enough for the M88 being suited to a great record [when Neve and Orpheus are changing the world].

I had the honour to have mine serving the WAVE GOTIK TREFFEN's public on the XXth anniversary of this international event. Lead vocals, of course. The M88 is often asked for, say the "soundeys" (live applicants). S o r o r d o l o r o s a 's gig insufflated enthousiastic ovation, and not only German people were there. By the end of this stage, I had the lead singer of LYCOSIA
regarding highly aforementioned band's smack -I mean the overall darkness into which sheens the voice. LYCOSIA's Christy Scythe preferred it to well-established MERCIFUL NUNS. That was -by mere hasard- also the opinion of an pop-corn-in-the-baddest-sense DJ (first bad encounter in several visits to the WAVE GOTIK TREFFEN).

The TG was said no longer to pertain to "dynamic mics" and even if the assertion is exaggerated, it is light-years away from common dynamic mics, when you find the right pre'. It can prove the best option for vocals.

What I particularly liked it for, was my intent of breaking away from the usual cabinet-crawl mic'ing, by letting more of the amp's toss. And what's strenghtening our pretention, is that an effectively competent sound engineer chose the VOX amp whom I had presented him the output, with the TG on track... We shall take it as an acnkowledgment of this mic's virtue[s, yes we put an "s"], and of upcoming rock toast./.

22nd March 2016

Beyerdynamic M88 by microphonemania

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Beyer M-88

Favourite mic....I have been stockpiling them for a number of years. I have 3 newer M88tg, 2 M88nc with older tuchel outputs and a very old silver M88 that is pretty ill but deserves a good retirement so still have it nestled away.

I would use these on just about anything going on past experiments...I've settled on the 3 new tg ones on toms and the older m88nc on guitar and bass amps...only because I don't want these old guys to get hit by sticks as they are still in excellent condition. I don't subscribe to the comments that the tg version is substandard to the older types....they all seem wonderful to my ears just the older ones should be more treasured due to their age. I have a couple of m69s also and the tg version has its grill knocked off too so they are not necessarily indestructible being the "touring" version. Most importantly sound wise they sound incredible through neve/api pres if you have them and you always have to knock the bass off them if close to source...sometimes drastically but you are left with an inviting full range but dynamically compressed signal which translates so well whether on a recording or micing a live source. I would never mic a double bass live with snything else but my 70s M88nc...even bass notes and definition of fretboard and finger nuances straight out of the clean signal you get from the capsule...a beautiful thing. They are really a 5 out of 5 mic but get lower marks for ease of use I guess as placement is a thing as the bass takes over close...hyper cardioid pattern is great so you can pull them away from the source a bit and still get s good focus. Bang for buck...they ain't the cheapest dynamic mic but are worth 3x what you pay for them maybe...hell I don't know what I'm saying...they are good bang for buck but I'm not gonna go and edit the 3 out of 5 because you can work it out for yourselves.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Beyer M-88
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search