The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shure SM57

Shure SM57

4.15 4.15 out of 5, based on 48 Reviews

Jack of all trades....

Old 4th December 2011

Shure SM57

Ahh the loyal classic 57 what would we do without it.

Some might say we don't need another 57 review as this mic is well established as an industry classic from pro to beginner. But to pay homage to this great microphone I'll review it for the sake of newcomers of the the recording...
29th March 2012

Shure SM57 by Vcru

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Shure SM57

Well I am sure as you all know the sm57 is another workhorse microphone. Used by just about any studio artist/engineer you have ever met and good reason for it. This is a dynamic mic that sounds great. On top of all that it is priced so cheaply there is no reason to not have one.
I have used this mic on snares, guitar and bass amps, cajon, and even acoustic guitar. You can have this mic on the snare and even if the drummer smashes it, it will still work . Also, if you have a preamp with enough gain or a loud singer this microphone can do wonders on vocals. I have found that I really like the sound on raspy rap vocals and higher pitched female vocals.
Overall I would say every studio needs at least a couple of these microphones for all these uses as above and I am sure you could find even more. I only have two at the moment but will definitely pick up at least two more as I find myself needing more than two and since you can pick them up at $100 or less it is seriously a no brainer. I would say the only people who complain about a microphone like this clearly have a lot more money than any of us reading this review!!

30th March 2012

Shure SM57 by Mark_Andrasko

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Shure SM57

The Shure SM57 is a marvel of the modern world whose roots lay in the deepest of irony. According to Wikipedia Ernie Seeler, one of Shure's early engineers, whose work on the Unidyne III led to the microphone the entire music world knows and loves was an avid lover of classical music and despised rock and roll. Yet after rigorous "torture-testing" of the Unidyne III the SM57 was born, a mic that has stood the tests of time as the greatest "rock and roll" microphone of all time.

I have to rate the SM57 higher than most of the other reviewers because I love this microphone and I truly enjoy tracking my vocals with it. It just fits my voice. Not to mention snare, top and bottom! Although I have to be honest.. I prefer Audix's i5 for close micing my Fender Twin. I've also had success with it on kick drum as an accompaniment to my Audix D6 (sculpting out the 57's lows) and on acoustic guitar.

Something magical happens in the upper mids of the Shure SM57 and SM58. It smooths things out in just the right spots and brings a perfect touch of clarity to others and blends it all together in that "just right" mix.

Thank you Ernie Seeler. Your genius has allowed countless generations of rock musicians to pursue their craft with excellence and affordability.

31st March 2012

Shure SM57 by Dewochee

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Shure SM57

This is a must have for any recording studio. I have used on several sound sources including vocals, snare drum, saxophone, acoustic guitars, amplifier cabs and more. My main application for the mic is tracking the top of the snare drum.

THE SOUND:
Is reliable. You always know what you are going to get. It’s not the main microphone you have to have in your studio because there are better microphones out there, but its one of those microphones you can’t have missing from your arsenal of microphones.
I’ve used on vocals to get a different color on my vocals, the same with guitar cabs.

DURABILITY:
This is what I love about this microphone. I have dropped this microphone several times. Almost every time a drummer hits it with a drum stick. The black finish is fading but the sound stays the same. I have only seen one SM57 stop working because of a wiring issue.

QUALITY:
For a $100.00 microphone you can’t miss on this. For anyone starting out, after you get your first condenser microphone and you Mic Pre, this should be your next microphone. I have seen these microphones sell used for as low as $50.00. worth the purchase.

So now all I have to say is this is a must have in starting any studio set up.

It's durable, reliable and gives you classic 57 sound.

I've used mostly on snares, but have used on guitars cabs, percussion, and vocals.

Now enter me in the UA Apollo Drawing!

2nd April 2012

Shure SM57 by soundmark

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
Shure SM57

This is one of the first mics I ever used...good place to start. 20 years later I still can deny it as one of the classics. Most manufacturers of dynamics mics mimic this or try to beat it...for a reason. If stuff doesnt sound good with this mic...try something else!
Do your preamp shootout with this one and find out the truth.

5th April 2012

Shure SM57 by FatherTime

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Shure SM57

Do we really need to do this? People saying many mics sound better on this and that, yah, they do. But this mic IS an invaluable tool that everyone needs in there box/locker/gym bag. I have 3 and 2 Unidynes.

6th April 2012

Shure SM57 by LimpyLoo

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Shure SM57

Let me preface my review by saying that I don't like the sound of modern records. I will take the dullness of a 70's Bowie record any day (and twice on sundays).

I guess I am one of that lot who subscribe to the ethos that vibe trumps all. Including, of course, frequency response. I'm not a fan of photorealism, I'm grossed out by the look of HD television, and...you know where I'm going with this.

Anyway, the 57 is king of vibe. Sometimes I cup it in my hands and thank it every single day for rolling off those gross highs that reality tends to have.

Anyway, that's my review. Run a 57 through a decent pre and you're gold.

22nd April 2012

Shure SM57 by Jimmi Accardi

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Shure SM57

Well, I just want to say yes - the 57 sounds really up to task on everything mentioned above. I also want to add that, at a session recording acoustic guitar, I was ready to go with a LDC or SDC and someone said "what about that mic (pointing to the 57)?" I tried it and it's one of the best sounding acoustic tracks I ever got. I think the main thing with this mic is that you need a decent pre and a bit of EQ.

28th September 2012

Shure SM57 by stereobuddha

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Shure SM57

I got the sm57 finally last week...
I mainly bought it to record acoustic guitar (Saving up for a high end condenser mic).
The Mic has a very smooth response ,I was using a rode m3 previously to record acoustic guitars and vocals , but I found the M3 to be disappointing in my opinion so I thought I'll try the 57. So far , So good , I've used it on acoustic guitar and vocals , I particularly liked it on Vox, overall it sounds really nice!.
only drawback!...the mic capsule grille rotates , which can be annoying!

15th February 2015

Shure SM57 by D34d_Ledger

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Shure SM57

aight, I don't think there could ever be enough reviews for this mic.

Anyways, I think every or maybe most engineers who record live sources own this mic.

Yes it's brutally honest in how it captures tambre, but there's a reason people have been using it for drums, guitar cabs and vocals for decades.

Not sure who paid $140 US for it in the other review but you got ripped the fück off!

Make sure it's a GENUINE copy and you're set.

The only reason I give it a 4 star in sound quality is cause it's not likely your best room mic or studio vocal mic, but you'd be a fool not to have it in your mic shootout for such an application.

As for "features", it's a plain and simple dynamic mic! Point and shoot is all the feature I need.
I don't really care for mics with on and off switches in this situation.

Also I've seen a truck tire mow over one of these and the bastard still worked perfectly, nuff said.

One of the best $100 investments you could make in your recording career.

15th March 2015

Shure SM57 by mattyf_nyc

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use 1 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 2
Shure SM57

I bought an SM57 on the advice of several people (who I have quit listening to), and can only say that I get better recordings from cheap-ass $45 microphones. I have a handheld recorder that has better accuracy. I record guitars a lot, with and without distortion, and the SM57 just isn't for that, or much of anything else. Harsh, screechy, garbage with a loose low end that can take hours to EQ out. I have tried every placement I can think of. It's okay for vocals but even there, it is easily out-classed. I just hate this mic, and feel that I made the wrong choice when I purchased it.

4th June 2015

Shure SM57 by maxwellcrespo

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features N/A
  • Overall: 3.5
Shure SM57

Great all around mic, very strong and reliable. The sound is crisp with a bump in the high end(you can get rid of this with a mod). Overall its a solid 100$ mic and you wont regret buying one. Studio Staple

28th January 2016

Shure SM57 by Stobs

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
Shure SM57

What has been reviewed and used more than the Shure SM57? Perhaps nothing.

As a college student who operates almost entirely out of my bedroom it seemed to be a given that I get this mic for my "home studio." I saw one for $40 at a Rock-N-Roll flea market in Portland and had to grab it.

Thus far, this mic can do me no wrong. I use it constantly and am always pleased with the results. I will also say that careful tracking and distance will produce noticeably different sounds from this mic, which in my opinion is a big plus as it gives me the opportunity to add some variety into my small set up.

Overall, a beginner's recording set up is likely to find this mic reliable, clean, and certainly high enough quality to get moving in the direction.

I highly recommend!

28th January 2016

Shure SM57 by pencilextremist

• Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
Shure SM57

I bought my first sm57 over 15 years ago and it's the only mic I've never sold or wanted to swap, because it's so useful. I recorded my first demo's with it and have used it on acoustic guitars, electric guitars, vocals, clarinet, saxaphone, drum overheads, percussion, pretty much everything you can imagine.

there's a good reason why this is an industry standard, it takes time to set up correctly on a guitar cab, but once you find the sweet spot, it's just 'that' sound.

The sm57 won't sound good on all voices but when it does work it can be way better than a £2000 microphone, yet it costs less than £100.

I used to think it sounded too harsh but when you put it within a mix it's often just right, after a LOT of experimenting, I decided it's mostly the mic position that determines how good or bad it sounds, not the mic itself.

I need 10 more of these for my studio! you can never have too many.

28th January 2016

Shure SM57 by david1971

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
Shure SM57

Another SM57 review!?!?

Who hasn't used this mic!?

The gist is this (if you haven't figured it out yet): This thing works.

Snares

Guitar cabs

etc.

Sound Quality: eh. It sounds like a 57. Midrange emphasis.

Ease of Use: Bout as easy as they get

Features: Features?

Bang for Buck: Here's where this classic mic shines! Get one for cheap, use it forever. End of story!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Shure SM57
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search