The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer XM8500

Behringer XM8500

4 4 out of 5, based on 4 Reviews

If you need a mic in a hurry, this mic will do the trick.

4th December 2011

Behringer XM8500 by Loon

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
Behringer XM8500

While the Behringer XM8500 will almost always be bested by a more expensive and more popular mic, this mic still has it's uses in drums, and vocals alike. Usually, when people need a quick and cheap microphone to fill the locker, they will immediately reach for a Shure SM57; however, why would you spend the extra $80 when, in certain aspects, this mic can perform just as well?

Although this mic does not have the same "wow" factor that you might get from a more expensive mic, this mic surely does its job. It will sound fine on just about any instrument, and will never provide a signal that is completely unusable. The mic shines on rack toms and may even perform better than a 57 in this situation. It sounds rather good when close micing drums, but the microphone does not perform as well if used to mic cymbals and hi-hat. As a mono room mic it is also rather decent, however if you are looking to use it in this situation, I recommend using a rather hefty amount of compression. With a bit of a high end boost, this mic is also acceptable as a vocal mic if nothing else is doing the trick.

If you are new to the recording industry or you just wish to record some licks at home, this mic is for you. However, if you own a studio and have enough mics to fill the ranks, this mic is likely to sit in it's case for long periods at a time.

In conclusion, the Behringer XM8500 is capable of recording some rather decent bits if you are short on mics, or are on a tight budget. It performs best close micing drums, but is also usable in other situations as well. For around $20 this mic is a steal, and if I was to have no mics and had only $100 to spend, I would surely take 5 of these rather than an SM57.

17th December 2011

Behringer XM8500 by needsLITHIUM

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Behringer XM8500

I recently used this mic to record some Death Metal growls/shrieks, and this mic truly shines in this area, and I actually like the sound of this mic better than my Shure SM58. For clean vocals, it doesn't have the punch you need, and the slight high frequency boost might make normal singing sound hollow and tinny, but for gritty singing and/or screaming, this mike is a bombshell.

It is also decent for recording various instruments, such as guitars, both amplified and not, but this microphone is phenomenal for those of you doing Metal Vocals, both Live and Recorded. As long as your preamp(s) are good, you should be fine.

for an example of the sound of this mic for metal vocals, listen here. The guitars are guitar pro, and the DAW I used was REAPER x64 ver. 4.13.

oh, and did I mention it is only $20.00 USD???

1st June 2014

Behringer XM8500 by LBTM

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Behringer XM8500

Today I had some free time and tested my XM8500 to my other, more expensive mics. Well, it isn't the best mic but for the price it's totally usable. If you mess around with EQ settings you can make it sound decent compared to a better dynamic but it's difficult to completely remove that subtle "cheap zing" sound it has.

I tested it only for vocals but I suspect it will sound OK for other uses to. Don't fall in the trap that there's a huge difference in sound between mics. The initial sound and performance (and mic placement) is FAR more important than the mic you'll use so if just don't like a sound the problem may be in the source. If you're new to recording and you can't get decent mixes using this microphone then try improving before upgrading to something better.

All in all it's a really good mic for $25 and I can assure you won't regret buying it.

25th December 2017

Behringer XM8500 by SamBP

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Behringer XM8500

This mic is never going to be the top in its category, however if you are out of your sm57's and 58's etc it makes a perfectly good replacement on a lot of applications.

The main thing I enjoy about this mic is how it breaks up and distorts at high spl's through the right analogue pre's. I know this may sound strange however my guitarist/singer has a very explosive vocal technique and is a fan of the green bullet sound. In live applications paired with an old carlsbro mixer amp and 1x15 speaker i get a wonderful warm crunchy sound. Stick a mic on this set up for recording purposes and you get very unique results.

Anyway as I say its a perfectly good go to mic for when you are running short on similar better built alternatives, which sometime i choose first due to is character. If you are down on budget I would say its worth grabbing a few to fill out your mic locker.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Behringer XM8500
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search