The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 1073 DPA

1073 DPA

3.95 3.95 out of 5, based on 7 Reviews

A classic boutique microphone pre-amplifer with a modern touch.

4th December 2011

1073 DPA by Dz7

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 1 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Neve 1073 DPA

Review currently being reviewed!

Originally I had given very high scores to the DPA but after countless issues I have decided that the build quality is actually quite low. I would recommend staying away from this unit.

12th December 2011

1073 DPA by Chris Lago

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
Neve 1073 DPA

Frst of all, if you think that this preamp sounds like a vintage 1073 (and there are tons of versions), think again; it sounds a lot cleaner than any of them, and doesn't have that Vintage colored vibe compared to the original 1073.

That being said, it is a great preamp. Overpriced? Yes! Does it sound top notch? Definitely! I love tracking vocals/guitar/bass with this preamp, and I like the fact that it's an AMS Neve, but other than that, I think there are similar quality preamps for less money. The downside? These preamps won't be an AMS Neve, and so are different by the name association. The Pre can get colored for sure, but it's not as big as the older Neves that I've used at other studios.

I wouldn't be scared to use BAE, Vintech, Avedis etc etc for that kind of tone. I still like the unit but it doesn't match the vintage Neve 1073, especially the ones with Marinairs inside, those are incredible! The pre, for the price is very lackluster.

6th March 2012

1073 DPA by Ward Pike

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Neve 1073 DPA

I find myself somewhere between the opinions of the other two reviewers in this review thread.

The 1073DPA sounds like a real 1073 because it is a real 1073. It's new and does not sound worn out (sorry, that's "broken in" in GS talk) but instead it's firm (not stiff) accurate and warm.

It's the perfect complement to almost any microphone I have in my collection and have used on it from Neumann UM57, U87, U87ai, TLM170, TLM102, TLM49, etc to small condensors from AKG, Sennheiser and others to dynamics and even my vintage ribbon RCA44.

There is more than enough gain to power anything and capture very quiet recordings.

The color is mild and very beautiful. It isn't over the top like a fading beauty queen with leaky caps... it's just the kind of mild mid shelf that provides details and saves time on EQing something lesser.

Is it over-priced? Yes, and thankfully so. Something of value should be something of worth and worth a price. Too much cheap gear is ruining engineering and I am please to see something truly high end command an appropriate price.

16th December 2013

1073 DPA by adirondack

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
Neve 1073 DPA

Initial Concerns: I had heard negative reports about quality control on this unit but perhaps NEVE have found a solution. So far this unit has been working well. Be aware that at the time of writing, the 1073 DPA does not look as pictured on the AMS NEVE website. The back of the unit uses the DPD backplate and patches off the unused inputs with plastic plugs and metal plates. In Use: This preamp works well for vocals as it adds body to the signal which can sometimes be a desired effect. Adjusting the trim control, the DPA can get cleaner for acoustic instrument recording. I was not concerned with how it compares to original units so I never explored this aspect. I decided on the NEVE after auditioning similar units. The 1073 DPA provided a warm footprint and the versatility I was looking for in a 2-channel stereo preamp.

15th January 2016

1073 DPA by david1971

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Neve 1073 DPA

I purchased my unit used about two years ago. Overall its a great sounding unit and does its job amazingly (including repping the red 'N' for clients sake).

Sound quality: I sounds like a Neve 1073 without the EQ. Which in my book is still excellent!

Ease of use: I don't believe this unite could possibly be any easier to use. Main, stepped gain knob, phase push button, 48v push button, and a trim knob. Easy.

Features: Gave this a 4 because, how hard would it have been to throw a low pass switch in the circuit? I mean I literally don't know how hard it would be. But I would have loved to see one.

Band for buck: I'm giving this unit a middle of the road 3 on this category. You're paying for the proprietary goodies inside (which sound amazing), and for the aforementioned red 'N'. One could easily aquire 4 channels of, say API for a similar price with just as much (or more, front pannel 1/4 jack) utility. I'd almost rather have 1 channel of 1073 with eq than this box. ALMOST. I love having the stereo pair

Overall: Great sound. Red N. Don't know how much longer mine will stay...

6 days ago

1073 DPA by VoiceOfReezon

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Neve 1073 DPA

I find the DPA similar in sound to the BAE 1073MP with a little less flab in the low end, and a little smoother sounding than the Great River MP2-NV. All 3 sound great, and the differences are not dramatic although I do prefer the DPA over the others. It compliments my Blue Robbies, Daking, UA 610s and ISAs, giving me plenty of gain for ribbons and a lot of transformer fat when I push the gain hard. Build quality is better than average, noise level quite low, and overall it acquits itself well in all situations. If I needed more than 2 channels of this flavor I wouldn't hesitate to buy more of them.

I gave it a 4 on features because I'd like all preamps to have high pass filters...it should be a law

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search