The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mackie HR624 Mk1

Mackie HR624

4.1 4.1 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

Most Mega Monitors Mackie Made.

4th December 2011

Mackie HR624 by allawishus

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Mackie HR624 Mk1

I think this monitor is still relevant as it's still available on the used market (for silly prices) and it's the best Mackie I've heard.

I should qualify that by saying I've heard and used the HR824 Mk1, HR624 MK1 and MK2 and the MR5 MK2.

I now use other monitors along side these in the studio but I've never been able to sell them on as they still serve a purpose.

The MK1 sound great and are still one of my favourite listening speakers.
They are cinematic in sound, very 3d and always impress when turned up loud.
Unlike the 824 models the bass is not overblown and is rich and deep in small rooms.
It excels on electronic sound sources. 808's and 909's sound like they should on these speakers. In other words they sound like they do on a good club sound system. The sub that they put out may be a lie but I don't care, I like it and find it very useful.

They also display the mid range in a useful (if not entirely accurate) way. It seems the upper mids are lifted which gives them a 'loud' character when compared to other monitors. This can be useful when mixing at low volumes but also a little painful when blasting.

The low mids are what let the speaker down. They are not fairly represented and must be checked on headphones.

The high end is a little splashy and confused due to the metal tweeter but it's not a deal breaker and mixes don't suffer.

Many people dismiss the HR624 as 'hifi' and I suppose they are in that they do impose a 'character' on what ever is played through them.
Things sound slightly more polished on them as though they've had an extra treatment.
But this for me is why I find them useful. If they are 'hifi' then it's a very good hifi and a useful real world, cinematic view on your work (like a radio edit).
It allows me to hear that perhaps a track is closer to being finished than I thought it was and always gives me something else to fix in the mids that wasn't picked up on before.
On some more neutral speakers even finished mastered tracks don't sound quite finished.

So, not great as a solo set but a worthy and useful addition to the family that cost peanuts on the second hand market.

20th December 2011

Mackie HR624 by WhiteSheets

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Mackie HR624 Mk1

I've owned these monitors for three years and find them superb for composing.

They receive some bad press on Gearslutz - I've seen people describe them as too hi-fi and that they can make bad mixes sound good by hiding their flaws. I'd agree that the bass is misleading and that there's perhaps too much weight in the low end but this is something which one must get used to and then take account of - as with all relatively low priced monitors. The stereo field is excellent in a good room and if you can get these second hand at a good price, I'd highly recommend them.

22nd December 2011

Mackie HR624 by 6th_World

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Mackie HR624 Mk1

You say people don't like them here? I don't care... They're ok..

All I'm gonna say is A/B them in ACOUSTICALY TREATED space with any, and I say ANY model in their price range of course... You may prefer a sound of some other model in the price range? No problem, that's your right. But ask yourself is that speaker truly better?

I did a shootout lately with hr624's/adam a7/adam a7x in my control room and I have to confess I thought adams would be the clear winners before the shootout.. But, it didn't worked that way for me..

No disrespect to adam line, they make fine products no doubt, but in this price category I like mackies better. I surprised myself with this conclusion too

a7/a7x are maybe better 'spectrum balanced monitors' than 624's and easy to work with, but in depth controls as handling the compression and overall details are what I liked about mackies.. They're alive, maybe not clinical but definetly fun to work with. With 624's I can achieve nice mixes with no problems.

Just to add a conclusion, when I first heard mackies in untreated space I thought they're no good tool as they spill the bass/masking the midrange otherwise. But in tight room, they sound preety tight and alive. Good product for a price. Sweet sounding, preety much accurate, not a 'regular' monitors, but they're good and fun stuff.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Mackie HR624 Mk1
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search