The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Npng qmp-4nw

NPNG Products QMP 4NW

4.65 4.65 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

Class A Discrete Microphone Pre-Amplifier. Like anything great worth persuing, NO PAIN NO GAIN

3rd December 2011

NPNG Products QMP 4NW by Fezzle

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Npng qmp-4nw

After reading much hype on the NPNG mic-pre's, one cannot help but wonder what all the fuss is about, anyway I took a serious punt and bought one. Despite boasting impressive specs these discrete transistor amps are said to be made by a guy who cares more for what his ears tell him, and it shows.
Performance is fast with stunning realism, the unit sounds very clear and large with a beautiful aesthetic. It will bring all your microphones qualities to tasks with impeccable accuracy and detail. It has a certain sparkle, subtle character, and full, natural sound.
Bass is deep, punchy and clear, articulate mid range and euphonic highs all delivered with fine focus. I kind of think of it like taking a classic Neve amp, giving it a twin turbo, a kick up the arse, and removing any trace of mush.
What impresses me the most is its ability to capture perceived depth of field or 'front to back' in sources, where all the critical low level details, ambience and nuance of performance, are shown with clarity and control.
The variable pad is a nice addition, very hot signals can be tamed easily. The filter at 80Hz is useful for any of those times when you just don't need that low end, feature wise it has them all.
The unit has an external power supply, robust build quality all round, huge headroom, point to point wiring, transformerless fully differential input stage, balanced output stage using Jensen high nickel transformers. This thing is fairly pricey but I'm not surprised, as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.
Kudos to Mr Diehl and Fletcher's help on this one, Quiet operation, 75db of gain, variable pad up to 40db, an 80hz high pass filter, phantom and phase switches, world class sound.

5th January 2012

NPNG Products QMP 4NW by monsieur x

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Npng qmp-4nw

The NPNG is quite a special microphone preamplifier. Extremely low noise, and high headroom with no smearing of transients is what helps it distinguish itself.

I have had the most joy using this mic amp for drums and vocals. It works very well with anything you want to sound real and authentic. For instance, with drums I use the NPNG for kick and snare, and it's amazingly accurate transient response retains all of the clarity of the subs, lows, mids, highs, air, all of the spectrum. The result is a drum with all the dynamic snap and attack you could ever wish for. This helps make mixing the kick especially a lot easier as it is a track that can sometimes have trouble cutting through without taking too much space.

With vocals, it allows you to keep all the magic of your vocal microphone (i. e. a Blue Mouse) without messing with it's musical non-linear phase response or magnified detail. With many vocal microphones, the wrong pre can really kill the recording, the NPNG is incapable of getting in the way!

For anything that needs total accuracy but not sterile sound, enjoy the new soundstage and depth of field that comes with the NPNG!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Npng qmp-4nw
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search