The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lawson L47MP

Lawson Microphones L47MP

4.75 4.75 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Fantastic, classic-sounding tube LDC.

3rd December 2011

Lawson Microphones L47MP by andrewsamuel

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

The Lawson L47 is a large-diaphragm, tube condenser mic. The mic itself is quite striking, my version is completely gold plated, and has an impressive heft and great build quality. It comes packaged in a Pelican case, with (non-shock) clip, power supply and cable. This is a beautifully hand made piece that shows the passion and care of its creator.

The mic is internally shockmounted (which in use seems to work just fine), with limited controls mounted on the power supply: a switchable –10 DB pad and sweepable (not detented) polar pattern pot. In practice, being able to fine tune polar patterns makes it quite easy to dial in subtle tonal variations, as the mic picks up sound slightly differently through the range of patterns. A small niggle is the lack of low cut – not a big deal in practice if your preamp has this feature.

My prime use for this mic is on low male voice – and it sounds just fantastic. Full low end, smooth highs and detailed mid range that makes for a present, controlled final result. The overall sound has a great soft tubey feel with a bit of hair – a lush and classic vocal sound.

I’ve had less success with acoustic guitars, however – the characteristics that seem to make it great on voice soften the punch and attack of guitar. To be fair, it may work better for a different instrument and player.

As an aside, the current version of this mic (MKII) is available in gold or silver, and is part of a system that features a quick change head assembly, for a choice of FET or tube preamps, and different capsule options.

If you’re looking for a classic big vocal sound, this mic is well worth an audition.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Lawson  L47MP
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search