The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Aurora Audio GTQ2 Mark III

Aurora Audio GTQ2

5 5 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

The GTQ2 is a great sounding 2 channel mic preamp with a simple yet sweet EQ section.

2nd December 2011

Aurora Audio GTQ2 by steveschizoid

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

Though it wasn't my first expensive mic preamp, this one was my gateway drug to high end equipment in general, and the cause of much money being spent at Aurora Audio specifically. The first time I heard an acoustic guitar recorded through a friend's GTQ2 (in comparison to a few other decent alternatives), I said to myself: "ahh, so that's how it's done!"

This preamp seems to get lumped into the Neve "clone" category, but, though its designer Geoff Tanner did spend many years designing classic gear while working for Neve for 14 years, it is not intended as a clone. It is intended as a better idea.

It is capable of 80 dB of gain, but I usually need no more than 20 or so, maybe 40 with my ribbon mics. It has the usual balanced I/O, a DI (that sounds great!) and phase switch. It also has convenient set of unbalanced outputs for use in connecting to unbalanced destinations.

The EQ is simple yet amazing. It has a HPF, low shelf, high shelf, and mid range with selectable 400 Hz, 1.6 KHz, and 3.2 KHz options. It has a sound that no plug in can offer. Eventually I will sell my GTQ2...but only when I can afford to purchase my second GT4-8 :o)

23rd December 2011

Aurora Audio GTQ2 by IGive'nTakeInfo

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

Solid build, i think he (Tanner) puts weights in this thing lol kidding. Knobs are money. The three band EQ is very usable i'm always playing around with it to hear what my source is giving me and adding or removing a db.

The DI is full sounding as well, tracked bass straight into it (300ohm/1200ohm options) into UA 1176LN into PT. If you can afford one get one.

I like the fact that it has its own internal power supply unlike the other units i was considering (BAE 1073MP or vintech 273) which require a cumbersome external power supply.

I love this pre and I call it my NEVE lol

30th December 2011

Aurora Audio GTQ2 by Mr. Light

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

I've tracked albums with just this (and a couple racks of SCAs for drums). I imagine it's what an album tracked on a souped up Neve would sound like. It sounds very flattering on just about anything you put into it. Like the above already mention, I often use JUST the DI from the GTQ, no amp. Beats out the '69 SVT in the closet 90% of the time. The way I see it, you can't afford NOT to own one. With the exception of drums, of course, I could easily get away with owning JUST this, a Pearman TM1, an SM57......and make killer sounding records all day long

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Aurora Audio GTQ2 Mark III
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search