The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blue Kiwi

Blue Microphones Kiwi

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 6 Reviews

Great mic for any singer and more.

1st December 2011

Blue Microphones Kiwi by gumby1220

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Blue Kiwi

The Blue Kiwi is hands down a must have. I do not have one myself but have had the privilege of recording with this mic a few times. The most notable time I had the privilege of using this mic was when recording a new age folk singer. We tried numerous mics on her and every mic including the nuemann u87 sounded harsh on her voice. Then I decided to pull the kiwi out of the mic locker and this was a perfect pair. The Kiwi sounded nice and smooth on her vocals. With very little compression going in allowed the vocals to sit in the mix almost perfectly. I have also used this as a room mic for drums and also in an M/S configuration sitting about twelve feet in front of a drum kit to capture room tone that way, and have never been disappointed with this mic. The next time I record in a studio that has this mic I'd like to try the Kiwi out on acoustic guitar as I'm sure it will shine for this application as it has in every way I have used it so far. I gave it all 10's except for bang for your buck since it is on the more expensive side. But this is a great mic regardless of price.

4th December 2011

Blue Microphones Kiwi by Bob Vinsick

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Blue Kiwi

The Blue kiwi is great on many sound sources. I've been using tube mics on my voice until I bought a Kiwi. It picks up all the details of my voice and makes it easy to record vocals. The color is just right.

5th February 2012

Blue Microphones Kiwi by Ward Pike

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Blue Kiwi

The Kiwi is a brilliant microphone.

Sound wise, it falls smack dab in the middle of a U87 and a U87ai. Better top end clarity than the classic Neumann U87, but not as shrill or "present" as a U87ai.

this is my go-to microphone for femvox and that means picking it over a C12a.

It is also excellent on group vocals in omni.

The inclusion of 9 polar pattern choices is quite a boon, however, a pad and HPF would be useful improvements.

9th July 2013

Blue Microphones Kiwi by Glenn Bucci

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
Blue Kiwi

The Blue Kiwi is Blue's top of the line solid state microphone. It has a large capsule that will impress any client by it's size, green color and sound. Part of the reason it has a large capsule is due to the single dual diaphragm capsule. It offers omni, figure of 8, cardioid and other options in between to choice from. Omni has the flattest sound while settings like cardioid have a stronger proximity effect for the bass. Blue uses their B6 capsule that offers an airy, smooth, and detailed sound. It does not represent the singer 100% accurately, but it polishes the voice a little with it's full frequency response. With it being transformerless, it provides a lighter, clean, and sparkle character. It does not have a harsh top end which some lower cost mic's can give. If you need a mic that adds more weight to a vocalist, I would look at mic's like the Blue Blueberry, Brauner Phantom, or the Neumann U87ai which have a transformer that adds a fuller sound to the lower mid's. The Kiwi does not have a strong mid range character like those mics, but it provides more detail in the top end.

The mic is built with very high standards and it yells quality as you hold the mic. It comes with a very well made shock mount and a nice wooden box with a blue cushion inside that looks very elegant. There is an optional metal pop filter with the "Blue" name on the front which I would recommend.

The Kiwi has very fast transients, is not only great on vocals, but acoustic instruments and percussion. It is not my first choice for strong rock vocals, but for jazz, ballads, country, or contemporary Christian music like Steven Curtis Chapman, Amy Grant, or Twlia Paris it could be a great option. Not one mic will sound great on everyone but this mic has the look, and sound that
will bring out the vocalist or acoustic guitar in a song in a modern classy way.

I gave the Kiwi 5 starts for "bang for the buck" because other high end solid state mic with multiple polar patterns, your generally looking at $1,000 or more for mic's like a Brauner Phanthera V or a Neumann U87ai.

26th August 2013

Blue Microphones Kiwi by 23onibaba

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Blue Kiwi

So about 8 months ago I was feeling very slutty or "slutzy" and I saw a deal on that was if you bought a Blue kiwi mic , they would chuck in a Blue Robbie Preamp for free.. The sluttiness overcame me and I clicked order..

Unfortunately it took months to get here. No fault of Blue....Obviously the large european internet company (of who's name we shall not speak) was to blame.....oh maNN.......... But it finally, to my pleasure, arrived.......broken....so I sent it back... along with the preamp which had the wrong power cable...quite a calamity.

So hoping to get everything I wished for I waited patiently twiddling my thumbs and not me knobs...... it arrived back ....hurray! ....broken!.....along with the same problem with the pre....haha.... i nearly fell over... they literally packaged everything up and sent it back to me..

so back it went with big complaints and e-mails to blue.... blue were really fast to respond and quite nice actually.. i thought i would give them a chance....they all had such fantastic really american names like bobby bradley braderson..... how could i not give them a chance?.... so it came again and finally worked...

And so finally onto the review....i just thought my kerfuffle should be voiced!

I bought this mic because I wanted a microphone that was great for acoustic instruments as well as for voice....Despite my early frustrations I am not disappointed. I have a selection of other mics ranging in quality but this just seems to work really well... I generally prefer tube mics but there is something so clean and pure about its sound...it really can capture the sound of the room.... saying that it can sound not so great on some sources as can all microphones.... that is the unfortunate curse of all microphones.....they just don't work on everything ...it has 9 different polar patterns....that sometimes helps

But when it shines it really does.... I think finding the right preamp/compressors combinations for it also is key. It can be bright.... So I generally like to pair it with a slightly darker pre and/or comp...However favourite combination is to have it going into a really clean pre and then into a Thermionic Culture Vulture and then I dial in the amount of harmonic distortion I desire.......WOW! It really comes alive.

I also think placement is important with this mic and/or also matching what it fails in with another mic.....I recorded acoustic guitar with it and an sm57 and it sounded wonderful.....each sounded boring and lifeless on their own....but together just gelled perfectly. But thats why this is done.

I think vocal applications are really hit and miss....who knows which mic is right for which voice? I like my voice and others through it but maybe thats because i spent some dosh on it and am subconsciously willing myself to like it.... it does sound good though. thats what important, isn't it? but so does my sm57 and that's much nicer on my empty wallet....maybe i should have just bought 20 sm57's?

It is expensive but as I received a preamp with it so I feel like its a good deal..isn't it?...and some microphones are a lot more expensive!...i'd love an AKG C12!.....Im not a massive fan of the "robbie" for microphones but the DI on it is nice..I use it regularly..Bass sounds great through it and it's by no means bad for microphones..

My grievances with the mic are few. It is big....and it's heavy.....you need a proper stand for it.....no messing about.....don't want it to fall.. and the shock mount included is useless....almost forgot about that....it does not hold the mic as advertised and is awkward. maybe mine is just another distribution fail?

tech specs are on the website included...they have some awful music there to titillate your ears and links to other/better reviews of it...sound on sound turned me onto it.. Anyway I'll stop blabbing now.....All I'll say is if you're after an acoustic and vocal microphone, try this. I'm happy

7th March 2018

Blue Microphones Kiwi by Danny Infield

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Blue Kiwi

I've owned this mic for a few years now and felt I had enough experience to write a review. I am a hobbyist but I take this stuff seriously as I'm on call to track/produce several very talented friends who are musicians for a living.

The microphones (in its general class) against which it has been extensively directly compared in my studio include the Neumann U87ai, Beesneez Sally, Rode Nt1A, and Blue Bluebird.

The Kiwi seriously outclasses the Nt1A and the bluebird; by this I mean, whatever those mics are trying to do, it just does better. When compared to the Neumann and Sally, it is difficult to say better or worse. The Sally is a tube mic; it handles sibilants amazingly well and imparts a lower mid richness and bump that cannot be undone (but you wouldn't want to). The U87ai has a great overall character to it (I absolutely disagree with those who parrot the myth that it is "strident" or "sharp"), but the Neumann mid butter can be over-prescribed and most singers who don't come in with a Neumann bias prefer the Sally or Kiwi.

The Kiwi is not heavy on bass, but what is there can be worked with. Not dark, but not brittle bright either. You may find yourself not boosting above 10kz as much, but you wont need to cut there either. Of the mics I own, the Kiwi is the one that is most fun to modulate on the way in with rack vibe.

I can get it to the u87 territory if I want by running it through a Great river MP 500 with input transformer high and output transformer rolled down. If that's not enough character, I'll run it through the A designs ATTY (useful device), taking 40 dbs off the signal, then into a tube compressor (own the acme XLA500, but have borrowed others), using a lot of the tube makeup gain. If I've really creamed it on the way in, I may reach for a good de-esser plugin... but that's just a function of what is being brought out of the Kiwi by compression... not a problem.

In other instances (stringed instruments, AC guitars etc), I'll run it through my cleanest transformerless pres and I'm happy with the result.

AT the current used asking price on Reverb or similar, it is a great deal.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Blue Kiwi
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search