The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog Minimoog

Moog Music Minimoog Model D (reissue)

4.15 4.15 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

The machine, the legend. The holy grail of bass and leads that makes lead guitar players and your wallet tremble with fear.

1st November 2011

Moog Music Minimoog Model D (reissue) by Yoozer

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Moog Minimoog

Take 3 oscillators, a noise generator, an external input, a lowpass filter, two envelopes and that's basically it. Want an LFO? Tough luck, use oscillator 3 - switching between a 3 osc bass patch and a 2-osc sound with a funky vibrato takes some practice to do quickly.

It takes half an hour to get in tune. Go do something else in the meantime. When you return you still might want to tweak the tune knobs, but that's part of the charm.

Since enough has been written about this machine already, I'd figure I'd compile my findings here when comparing it to the new kid - the Voyager.

Head to head:

You take the Voyager on a gig. Takes less time to tune. Switch on, wait a minute, usable, go, play.

You keep the D in the studio and do enough woodshedding until you're on the level of Chick Corea, otherwise it's not that fun.

The sonic range of the D is well-explored. Familiarity in virtually every corner. The melodic range still offers room. It's got all the sounds that you've already heard in the 70s and 80s - that sound - and you can't really go through them without stumbling over 'm. If you want to break new ground, lots of others have already trodden there.

Turn up the oscillator level of a single oscillator to something below 5. The tone is sweet. Turn it all the way up. It sears. There's no better word for it. It's like bacon on a griddle.

The Voyager does not do that. It's cleaner and far more controlled - restrained if you will.

Put the Voy and the Mini next to eachother and it's not even funny anymore. Yes, a Voyager is a high-class analog machine with envelopes that snap. It goes there in the bass range. Compared to the D, it's polite. Both will let you know that they're there for lead duties. The Voyager knocks. The D kicks the door in.

Have a tech service the keyboard - when that's done it plays just great and doesn't look like a jack-o-lantern. When it's properly calibrated it should track perfectly.

Do consider a MIDI interface - it's lots of fun to play a short sequence and run it through a neat delay and go all Tangerine Dream.

Features:

You miss out on all kinds of useful stuff - from spring-loaded pitch wheels to MIDI to a separate LFO, but you'll learn to live with it.

Bang for the buck:

If you want to buy one, be prepared to save up because they're getting more and more expensive (this is why bang for the buck is low; but this kind of bang can only be had for this kind of buck).

If you cannot afford one, try to get a Moog Source - it can get pretty close and it's also a lot of fun to play with.

14th July 2017

Moog Music Minimoog Model D (reissue) by Deleted User

Moog Minimoog

There are miles of technical and historic articles written about the most iconic synthesizer ever made: Moog Minimoog Model D, so in this review I'll go from a personal point of view.

First some background: Since I was a teenager and the Model D was to buy new in the music stores the sound of it has been a dream to me. At that time I couldn't afford it so the closest I could come was to buy a Moog Prodigy that served me well and eventual I sold it. One day, many years later, I found a second hand Model D in a music store to a good price tag and bought it at the same moment I saw it. From the first moment I turned it on I was hooked on THAT sound. Unfortunately old electronics requires a lot of service and the tuning became a hassle and when the Voyager was released my idea was to replace the old instrument with a new similar with some extra features as bonus.

Soon I found out the Voyager was a disappointment to me. No doubt it was a great instrument but it had not the sound I thought it had. When the Model D Reissue was announced I decided to sell the Voyager. I'm glad I was not offered enough for it but kept it. Today the Voyager is a killer combo to the Model D Reissue. I realize how good the Voyager sound when it's not referred to be a modern Model D.

And now to the Model D Reissue: I'm glad I didn't found a Model D Classic to a fair price but had to wait for the Reissue. It is a new instrument with new electronics and no hassle with oscillators that detune, electronics that need to be replaced... if they are available at all. And that's only the beginning. It has no scratches, uneven keys etc but has the outlook of a new instrument. It even smell new. It also has some technical add on make it superior to the classic Model D:

- Built in MIDI In, Out and Thru.
- A better keyboard. It is velocity sensitiv and has aftertouch.
- A number of ports added for CV at the top.
- An extra LFO with Sinus Wave and Square Wave.
- Two new switches and pots to address the new LFO
- Hard wired Overdrive function without need of running external cable.
- Key trigger options selected by different keys pushed while power on.

But the new features is not the reason I bought it, all that and more is present in the Voyager, its just a bonus. To me is the sound of the classic Model D what counts. Does it sound as the Minimoogs I learned to love long time ago? There are good news: The answer is YES AND AMEN!

The classic Model D was released in three different editions that sounds slightly different. The first edition had very unstable oscillators, the second edition was improved and the last edition was even more improved. The Model D Reissue is a second edition version.

The classic Model D is the most iconic synth ever made, that include the Model D Reissue. There are many synths, hardware and software, comming close sound wise to the Moog Minimoog Model D, so why spending a smaller fortune to achieve it? It's all about the total experience, the interaction between the electronics via the interface and the soul of the musician.

Would I recommend the Minimoog Model D Reissue to anyone? Definitely not. It has a classic sound, but not a "modern" sound. If one like that sound and just want to have something in that direction there are many options that are way more cost effective. But if, as in my case, the Moog Minimoog Model D is the holy grail among synths, then go for it - it's a lifetime companion. If owning a classic Model D, is it worth to sell it to get a Model D Reissue? Yes! Not only because the new features but most of all it's an absolutely mint condition Model D with 100% new electronics (exactly the same as in the classic one). The classic Model D is a timed bomb waiting to detonate with expensive service with some parts not availeble but need to be substituted (affect the classic sound) - the Model D Reissue is a new instrument.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search