• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Roland Juno 60

Roland Juno 60
ANALOGUE SYNTHESIZER

Many spears needlessly got broken in debates whether Juno 60's oscillators are analogue or digital. Both answers are actually correct, depending from which angle we look at the problem. The part that i will focus in here is the analogue signal path that starts at the oscillator point - therefore, from this perspective, i will call Juno 60 an analogue synth.

What makes Juno 60 special is its user interface. When ever a beginner would ask for the first synth recommendation, my answer would be Juno 60. Can't be more logical laid out control, can't be more simple to work with. Plain simple to learn the basics of subtractive synthesis. Highly recommended for anyone starting to learn how synthesizers work.

I gave 5/10 for the features, since it's obviously a single oscillator structure, with one filter and a single envelope. Too bad there's no 12dB tap point at the filter stage, this would make some really exotic PWM pads for which Juno 60 is known (in combination with its killer Chorus). Still, its filter sounds fantastic and is in fact one of my favorite sounding filters. Instead of just adding the 'liquid' part of the resonance, this one colors the affected frequency band in a very pleasant way. And it will squelch nicely when pushed high.

What makes Juno 60 a killer synth actually lies right at the end of its front panel controls next to the chorus buttons, and that is the envelope. Rather than being software controlled as on the other Roland DCO synths, this one uses hardware chip IR3R01, making it brutal fast and snappy. Particularly when compared to software envelopes of that age. It's the same envelope chip as used in the flagship Jupiter 8. When you lay down the 1/16ths via the arpeggio, this thing works like a super-fast die cutter.

Chorus on this unit is sort of a double sided sword. It will do magic on some applications, but if overused, tends to make all the patches sound the same. I personally prefer to use it for pads only (with partly closed filter), and absolutely never use it for bass or arpeggio stuff.

External MIDI control is a must have for this unit. Luckily there are few solutions / upgrades available now at the market which make life easier. Technically speaking, Juno 60 already has external control available, only thing required is to convert it to the MIDI standard via MIDI/DCB converter, or to go with something like the Minerva upgrade.

11th October 2011

Roland JUNO-60 by szf

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
Roland Juno 60

Excellent build quality, great looker.. Big Mojo
As already mentioned filter and envs are really good. Said envs are quite organic and the synth is surprisingly expressive.
As used on hits by Enya, Cyndi Lauper, Howard Jones, Madonna, Aha, Marillion.......

Since getting mine a year ago, I usually always switch this on first when I'm starting a song. It's my magic pad/sound machine.

Only issue I had was that my unit kept resetting patches/going back into manual mode.
Seemed related to the fact that it's a low serial number 700's and did not have the patch reset wire mod done........
But it turned out not to be necessary, as it was actually caused by a loose connector on the main PCB, which I adjusted, trouble free since then.

13th October 2011

Roland JUNO-60 by ttown23

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
Roland Juno 60

I completely agree with Don's review, and have only a few items to add.

I went higher in terms of bang for the buck, this is one really under-appreciated synth. I am always amazed at how much I can get out of 'er for the meager complement of features on the '60. I also went higher on ease of use: the only synth simpler would be an SH-09, IMO (and also a real boon for those learning classic subtractive analogue synthesis).

Get one-- you won't regret it

14th October 2011

Roland JUNO-60 by Pro5

Roland Juno 60

Sound - 8 undeniably a sweet sound, but really overused, very constrained with little room to go off road (Roland purposely restricted the range of it so that it always sounded 'sweet' which has the side effect of it pretty much making the same patches over and over for the last 30 years). zzzz

So quality is an 8 but quality of a variety of sounds is only a 6 = 7.

Ease of use? Simple, great but then it's a simple synth. A more advanced synth that is 'easy to use' should score higher here. Overall 8.

Features? Enough to be handy but not enough to be interesting after the romance has worn off (I had a Juno 6 for a few years - pretty much the same but not as good as lack of patch storage WAS annoying even on a simple synth). I would score the Juno 6 lower (but still higher than the 106). 60 is the best Juno imo, but it IS only a Juno. Great filter, nice envs, nice tone. A real instrument but way over hyped and that is factored in at the prices these go for it's hard to justify that price for such a limited synth. so 5 here.

See last part of last paragraph, same applies.

My Juno 6 cost around £60 in the early 90s - a bargain by today's standards. Juno 60 is over priced for what it does (i.e bang for buck) so 4 only here. What it does do (as we slutz know) is add that vintage cool and 'badge honor' and that's where a lot of the money goes in buying one, and that's fair enough, maybe there should be another rating added for that more emotional appeal because Juno 60 would score highly on that for sure, but bang for buck? 4!

I like Junos but I grew tired of them when I got other synths, tonally I prefer stuff like Polysix, and feature wise I prefer JX-3P (while still having some of the Juno character/sound and Roland DCO thing).

18th October 2011

Roland JUNO-60 by jnurp

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Roland Juno 60

I recently picked one of these up and I couldnt be happier. Its so easy to use and yet so deceptively intricate if that makes any sense. There are basically 15 sliders to work with, but they each interact with eachother in a way that no other synth i have used does as well. The smallest adjustment to the lfo can send the filter when adjusted into an entirely different direction sonically.

I hooked a Delay pedal up to mine and its just such a beautiful and lush sounding instrument to my ears.

The pads are huge and strong and the analog roland chorus is absolutely fantastic. As a matter of fact, this synth is worth the price I paid just for the chorus. its only 3 settings but add it to a bass or a pad and you are off into a lush netherworld. I pretty much only use it for pads and bass here and there. The leads are fine as well, they really stand out in a mix in a nice way.

It has a simple arp but used in conjunction with the filter and the LFO and you can get some wild and unpredictable results.

The features are not going to blow anybody away, but the sound will. If you need a 2nd, 3rd, 4th..etc etc.. synth in your arsenal, this is a great addition to any studio collection.

7th December 2011

Roland JUNO-60 by TimBowen

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Roland Juno 60

This is one of many I wish I still had. Played a ton of gigs and quite a few sessions on a Juno. Great build quality, great looks, fat sound. This and the Korg Polysix were the ones to have in the day if you lacked the green for an OB or Prophet. And I've read that George Michael did "Everything She Wants" on just one of these and a Linn.

18th December 2011

Roland JUNO-60 by Stue

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Roland Juno 60

My favorite analogue synth. Very easy to use, a lot of fun using the arp. Typical 80's Roland with very well sounding filter. Good for warm pads and nice bass sounds. Sound over all closest to the famous Jupiter 8. Just one DCO, LFO and ADSR, but still very nice sounds that you can get out of the machine! Together with Kenton Pro-DCB MK3 Midi interface via the build in DCB connector smoothly use with a DAW.

Expensive, prices gone up a lot over the last two years. One of the best looking synths ever (did the synthspa-mod):

17th January 2012

Roland JUNO-60 by seangray1

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
Roland Juno 60

My favourite piece of equipment that I have in the studio right now.
I bought it today and immediately started screwing around of course. I'm no synth freak, so the fact that it's simple to use is very, very nice! Within 2 minutes I made a fantastic melotron/flute type sound that fit PERFECTLY in the production I am making.

I have the Midi converter too, which helps, but if you just practice your piano skills you should be fine (unless you're going for some mental dance stuff). I actually like having to play stuff. It's more musical than clicking in the notes with your mouse and it keeps you in shape.

The bass sounds aren't really going to blow you away, but here's a cool trick i did earlier is to put it through my moogerfooger lpf and turn up the drive (had to use mono of course). That combination is very sweet for bass sounds. The drive makes it very fat and gives it the balls that it lacked.

It's not a very elaborate synth, but for me that's fine. I just want beautiful sounds to give character to my productions. Also I hate using software synths. Computer stuff drives me crazy.. This will make it very easy to get the sound you want, I didn't need more than 30 mins to know the synth's functions.
The fact that it's limited also makes you more creative, of course.

It was pretty expensive: 750 euros. I guess that's a lot, but I would do it again if I had the choice. I hope it doesn't break, but if it does it's quite easy to find replacement parts apparently.

I like the arpeggio, it sounds fantastic, but Muse kind of overdid the arps, so everything I do sounds like Muse.

Conclusion: if you're not looking for a massive amount of options and you just want beautiful sounds, then this is going to be ok for you. If you are a dance producer, I wouldn't really go for it, it's a bit limited for that.

My website:
AudioTailor - Music and Sound Design

17th January 2012

Roland JUNO-60 by GoldMember

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
Roland Juno 60

it's an awesome synth...

true analog VCO its way more "unstable" pitch, frequency...
DCO its much more stable.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...-than-dco.html

i disagree with 1st poster... Chorus does not make everything sound the same.
all patches sound different.

the Chrorus, i think its one of the best chorus ever...
but a bit noisy... but there are repair tutorials in Gearslutz here:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...-shootout.html

i made some 112 patches for it, you can download here:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...ee-sounds.html

factory banks:
RetroSound Roland Juno-60 Page

OM Manual:
http://thesnowfields.com/manuals/JUNO-60_OM.pdf
http://cyborgstudio.com/synthmp3s/ro...nersmanual.pdf

if want to know more about how it works:
Sequence 15: Why does the Juno-60 sound different from the Juno-106?
Roland Juno Series DCOs - How they work

chorus repair:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...-repaired.html

DCB-to-MIDI
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...-dcb-midi.html

upgrades / mods
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...juno-60-a.html

6 vs. 60 vs. 106
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...-60-106-a.html

some photos inside:
STUDIO REPAIR - Juno-60

10th February 2012

Roland JUNO-60 by guitstef71

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Roland Juno 60

Let me first start by saying that when I think of 80's synth's, 2 come to mind the Roland Juno, and the Yamaha DX-7, and Im trying to remember which one I got first (this is going back a few years guys) I remember watching Nick Rhodes (Duran Duran) playing one and I thought how is he getting all those notes with only holding down one finger...AHHH the ARPEGGIATOR, i mean this was some high tech stuff to my young mind, and at the time.
The reason I gave it a lower score on the bang for a buck was it seemed to take me forever to save up for one, and I could have gotten a Casio for like half the price that recorded my farts and stuff. Ahh the fun I had with those early synths.
The features seemed endless to me at the time, I mean Im going from a Farfiza doorbell machine to this. It was like the difference between your first four track and pro tools in my mind.
In the end I ended up liking the DX-7 better, and to be honest I don't think new wave would have been possible without either of the two, but this was for sure my intro into the world of synths, and it did take me forever to get what I wanted out of it, but hey Im a slow learner.

One toy I wish I never got rid of.

13th September 2016

Roland JUNO-60 by wargrave

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
Roland Juno 60

One of the best polysynths of all time. Has that classic Roland sound with an extraordinary chorus, a great filter and beautiful DCOs. You really don't need 2 oscillators per voice here. It's very fat and has a huge sweet spot. Comparing it to the Jupiter 6 for example, you'd think that the Juno-60 was the one with 2 oscillators per voice.
I've compared it to my Korg Polysix and the Juno honestly wins in most categories even though the Polysix has VCOs. The Juno is more versatile, has a bigger sweet spot, a better arpeggiator, the ability to mix different waveforms, the chorus (Polysix's ensemble is great too btw), "the looks", much better envelopes, more patch space and it works better for everything except maybe a few type of strings and pads where the Polysix sounds more organic.

Pros:
Wonderful sounding oscillators despite being DCOs
Very organic analog sound
Excellent for bass and big pads
That chorus!
Speedy envelopes
Patch storage (comparing to Juno-6)
Sounds good all the time

Cons:
Not the best FX synth
Not super-versatile
A tad expensive

8th June 2019

Roland JUNO-60 by modularfreq

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Roland Juno 60

Juno 60 Simply The best Juno of them all !

beautiful vintage sounds
Think of your favorite 80s songs! It is a simple to play easy to use and manipulate for different effects very inspired and fun.
definitely a classic!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Roland Juno 60
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search