23rd September 2011

FutureRetro 777 by crufty

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
FutureRetro 777

The fr-777 is a monovoice, two osc + sub osc bass "acid" synth with insane modulation capabilities. While capable of classic tb 303 type sounds, the addition of suboscs and featuring (osc+subosc)x2, ea with cv in, each capable of modulating the other, noise, three different filter modes, and nice env modulations, mean that this little bad boy is capable of so much more. Sound is devestatingly acid sweet or gnarly, gentle or rough (with built in overdrive). 10, no question.

Easy to use, much easier to program then the 303 (though many will be quick to point out that is part of the 303 charm). The manual is not really necessary (except for some song and time tips). Ease of use, 10.

Features...all analog, yes. Resonance that goes to 11? Yes, Plenty of knob goodness and has some cv i/o. Has onboard sequencer as well as midi in. But...cv routing is pretty limited and...no midi based filter sweep nor much in the way of cc/aftertouch, if any. I dont look at these as negatives, but realistically other synths have such niceities, so...so 7.

Bang for buck...pretty good. The envelope is tweakable but still a fixed envelope guitar emulation (ala tb303). For acid basslines, guitar like basslines, trance leads, drum sounds, etc, its fine. Still, the fr777 has a "sound" that is always there. When one gets to learn this most excellent creation, the fr777 will jump out at you in other tunes. I dont look at this as a negative...but other synths are poly (more then one note at a time), multi-timbural (more then one patch playing at a time), and most have a classic attack-delay-sustain-release envelope (and typically at least half that again), so bang for buck for "average" em, 8.

Unless you have a 909 and are wondering, why do i own this? Whats so awesome about the tr 909? Then bang for buck is 10,000,000.

23rd September 2011

FutureRetro 777 by tyler477

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
FutureRetro 777

On the FR site the maker states the earlier models had a more aggressive (different) overdrive section.

This is definitely a synth that does not immediately sound good, That being said if you spend the time and dial it in you can get some amazing sounds from it.

Sure I guess in comparison to some of the best synthesizers ever made it may fall short, but if you directly compare to the 303 or say an "analog" Bass station the difference is huge.

Here's a link to an example of the earlier (SN 1-100) Overdrive section. IMO it is not "dull" at all, if anything it is totally unique and full of character that I would argue being very hard to emulate.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6903650-post16.html

24th September 2011

FutureRetro 777 by Digital-Haven

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use 2 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 2
FutureRetro 777

Swapped my MC-202 for this thing right when it came out. Still remember it like it was yesterday and all the excitement. Cool synth, but i must agree with the others, somehow lacks the mojo of the older units. It made me miss my good old 202. In the end, i sold the 777, moved to SE-1x and never looked back. I guess it's a hit or miss synth. You either like its sound or you don't.

YMMV

11th October 2011

FutureRetro 777 by szf

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
FutureRetro 777

Bought mine new many yrs ago, was my 1st analog synth.
I spent a huge amount of time playing around with it, the sound blew me away, and it still does.

It's a really nice looking machine, it's similiar to the Juno-60 in that the pictures don't do it justice at all.

I have to say I have not used it in many songs, usually as soon as I power up the 777, I just end up getting lost in the acid tones, and have so much fun with it that my productivity drops off..
This depends of course on the style/s of music you do, I guess hard acid sounds don't really fit in with my style usually.
.. A synth better suited for the harder styles/noodle kings.

The way you enter notes is annoying compared to the xoxbox, otherwise, pretty nice seq.

As others have mentioned, the price is far too low, should go for at least twice the price of 303s.. so anyone interested in this synth should buy now.

20th October 2011

FutureRetro 777 by BM0

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
FutureRetro 777

Sound quality - The 777 has a unique sound compared to other desktop monosynths. Two oscillators (wave and square) + sub oscillators, 3-pole and 7-pole dual-resonance LPF, HPF, Linear FM (osc A-B and B-A modulation), Filter FM, and two overdrive modes. It sound was inspired by the TB-303 acid, but it really isn't close. It is much more but doesn't do the 303 acid as good as the other clones out there. I scored it a 7 because of its unique character, but its sound may not be for everyone.

Ease of use - Knobs for every feature of the sound engine. The sequencer is different. Inspired by the old Roland sequencer/drum machines, it is sort of cross between the TR and TB or MC sequencers. Each button is a pattern step (like TR) and you use the LED display and UP/DOWN buttons to set the note. Overall, it isn't the quickest for programming a pattern, but it works and can be fun.

Features - For a desktop monosynth, it has a generous amount of features. Aside from the sound features mentioned, it has a sequencer, MIDI, MIDI-to-CV (CV/Gate I/O), accent out, filter in, X Pose (transpose the entire pattern up/down in semitones), loop points, accent and glide. There is a hidden trick that will shift the note/step position up/down. It is available on later OS versions. During playback in pattern mode, hold down Clear and press the UP/DOWN to shift the notes forward and back in steps. This is a nice feature for live performance and improv. Another feature added to later OS is note sustain. By holding down the first step/note and pressing any subsequent step will create a sustain (the subsequent LED(s) will be slightly dim). On the negative, it only has VCA envelope Decay and a separate VCF Decay. However, the later OS versions have note sustains. Also, no LFO.

Bang for buck - The price of the 777 has gone up since it has been out of production. I suppose it is desired for its unique character and makes for an nice live piece that can also be used to sequence old CV/Gate gear. The sound is definetly not for everyone, but I find it quite unique and appealing. The original price of $777 looks like a deal these days, but now at about twice the amount for a used one isn't so desirable in my opinion. If I didn't get mine new, I wouldn't pay the price they go for these days.

6th May 2013

FutureRetro 777 by 41517

FutureRetro 777

Bought one of these when they first came out for $777. One of the best values in a synthesizer ever. Unique sound. Not exactly a "303 clone". Goes way beyond what 303 can do synthesis-wise. Very well equipped CV I/O. A future classic in the making.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search