The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Conductive Labs The NDLR
4 4 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Semi automatic generator of chords, arps and drones plus midi controller to boot!

17th January 2021

Conductive Labs The NDLR by stratblue

• Sound Quality N/A
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3
Conductive Labs The NDLR

Really good gadget. Generates 2 sequence motifs with a pad and drone that can then be changed according to the chord you want at the press of a button and that you can alter the general parameters of and send to multiple synths, VSTs etc plus midi envelopes, lfos and the like. This gadget is unfortunately let down by what is for me one huge flaw which is that the chords that you can arpeggiate and use in chord progressions are very limited. VERY LIMITED! There are the basic major, minor and 7ths, plus sus chords and a couple of other types and that is it. It will invert them, modulate them and span them across multiple octaves but if you have some chord voicings or structures that you particularly like, semitone or whole tone intervals etc as I do, don't expect the NDLR to arpeggiate them then move them to another scale degree and arpeggiate it in a modally correct manner. This can lead to it creating rather juvenile sounding stuff. You can use the scale sequence editor to make any melody you want but this will not transpose to the other chord degrees.
As long as you bear this in mind it's still a cool and creative gadget and they might address this shortcoming in a future update. I have used it to create some cool sequences that I would not have thought of myself which I capture for use elsewhere. A very strong feature of this gadget is the sheer number of parameters you can tweak and modulate, I'm still doing the deep dive.