11th September 2020

JTS NX-2 by Vione

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
JTS NX-2

I was saving for getting a dedicated bass/kick mic from AKG or the like. But I found one of these used at a crazy bargain, so I gave it a try. For now it's a keeper.

PRESENTATION/PACKAGE:
Mic came in a leather pouch which rested in foam, in the bottom of its cardboard box. The mic is hefty, feels solid except for the sleeve/stand screw; though it's all metal the
angle locker is made out of plastic. Aesthetically, its colors and capsule shape resemble shure's beta 52 and other knockoffs, though its body shape differs.

SOUNDS:
I ran lots of bass drum recording samples captured w many mics, thru my mixer and monitors to get a feel for the sound/how'd they take EQ (before the purchase). In that sense it sounds hyped like the beta 52. Depending on the player's dynamics and beater material i could say woolly... but it does get snappy with ease as well.

Also tracked a 6" fender frontman w/it, and voilà, had all the bottom-end back as well as a nice bite. All of this with satisfiyng headroom.

VEREDICT:
Though I never had a dedicated kick mic before, though this one wasn't my "goal" to start with, i'm quite pleased, so will be anyone in a budget/looking for a secondary bass mic. Ain't worrying about kick mics for quite a while!