The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam Audio SA-73-5

Stam Audio SA-73-5

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

These sound absolutely stunning on anything! Serious bang for the buck, serious sound.

10th September 2020

Stam Audio SA-73-5 by Butter Music

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Stam Audio SA-73-5

I've owned the Stam 1073 MPA for a while now and I was thrilled with the announcement of the 500 series. I ordered 4x with the Sowter output.

They shipped very fast which is something that is always a concern with Stam gear. Very well packed and very beautiful looking. The output tranny is MASSIVE. So much so that I had to remove the 2x Lola pre's (as seen in pic) just to squeeze the 4 1073's in. We want that big tranny for sound, but heads up, it will barely barely fit!

I powered on the units and 2 of them had no signal on any gain setting below 40db. Luckily I have some tech experience so I opened them up, and saw that the gain switch was very close to the chassis and got signal when I unscrewed it. Figured it was shorting and sure enough, the single piece of electrical tape there was not enough. I added a folded piece of gaffers tape and, viola! All gain settings work.

Now, one of those 2 units had some major clicking noises. I tried to diagnose but it was beyond me. Shipped it to a shop (Jeff at SES) to get fixed. Turned out to be a bad transistor. Just got it back and everything is copacetic!

So there were definitely some quality control issues - I understand that these are trying, quarantine times, so that's something I have accepted. The important thing was Josh and Teo were very responsive and helped remedy the situation. And now I have 6 channels of some seriously meaty, robust, gorgeous 1073!

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search