The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PreSonus Quantum 2626

PreSonus Quantum 2626

4.75 4.75 out of 5, based on 1 Review

A simple interface that does exactly what its supposed to.

7th September 2020

PreSonus Quantum 2626 by aaronrecine

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
PreSonus Quantum 2626

To paint a clear picture my needs for an interface are relatively simple.

I needed at least 8 mic pres so I could easily record a full drum set with a decent chunk of mics, something without a bunch of bells and whistles that I truly would never use and as low latency as possible so I could track DI guitar and have vst amp sims that feel responsive instead of spongy and sluggish.

I am a musician first and mixer second, but have decided to transition this to try my hand at becoming a professional mixing engineer. It was time to upgrade my gear as I had a 2012 Dell M6600 paired with a 2010 Presonus Firestudio Tube connected through a Texas Instrument firewire expansion card. The laptop was having trouble booting even after a fresh Windows 10 install and no modern laptops or other portable solutions have firewire anymore as its outdated as all hell.

I went with an Intel nuc8i7hnk and the Quantum 2626 and I'm very very happy with my purchase. There were some setup woes, but these are IMHO not Presonus fault.

It should be known that the Quantum 2626 and other Quantum line products from Presonus have an issue with Windows 10's idle states which can introduce digital pops and clicks. This article shows how to resolve this issue. https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-u...Quantum-Series

Also oddly I have to open Studio One and let it idle in the background to get Windows to use the interface as its default audio device. The Quantum 2626 will stop working between youtube videos sometimes if I don't do this. This issue has been theorized to be due to Windows WDM being poorly written. I'm not sure of what causes it, but If I open Studio One, leave it at the home screen and minimize it I have absolutely no issues.

I've recorded drums, vocals and DI guitar and bass on the unit with no issue. Never a dropout or lost track yet. Crystal clear sound, very similar to the Firestudio Tube, but a little more narrow.

The send / return on the first 2 pre's before the converters is cool. I threw an old Bluemax compressor in the line on some vocals and it worked just as expected. Really cool feature that has a lot of room for creative tracking.

I think its worth mentioning that I use this whole setup in a van I converted into a mobile recording solution and home so the interface runs off of a power inverter directly linked to a solar battery bank. Even with this setup i've had no noise or interference beyond the PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) led dimmer switch introducing a square wave to my single coil pickups on my telecaster.

Does what it should, love the company, love their DAW, love their interface.