The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weird Audio Little Red Monster
5 5 out of 5, based on 5 Reviews

A real go-to microphone for just about any source.

1st September 2020

Weird Audio Little Red Monster by digitaldrummer

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

The Little Red Monster is a large diaphragm, multi-pattern tube condenser microphone. It comes with a hard case for storage, 7-pin cable (from mic to power supply), power supply & power cable, and shock mount. The shock-mount is a Rycote-style, which in my book is an upgrade compared to others in this price range.

According to Weird Audio, the inspiration for the sound (obviously not the look..) of this mic is the U67 or even U87. Definitely a classic sound to target... I wish I could compare directly but I don't own either of these (I do own several other clones and similar sounding mics though...). And to be honest, those are out of my price range.

Ok, but how does it sound? I plugged into a 1073 style preamp and used it on drum room, acoustic steel string guitar, nylon string guitar, male vocals, female vocals, percussion, and more. Every time I was really, really happy with the results. In nearly every case i did not find the need to even EQ the sound in the mix. It just worked. With many mics I'm cutting some mud or tweaking some high/mid frequency. And this is the part that I found the most amazing about this microphone. it made my job as the recording and/or mix engineer easier, and I'm always down for that.

Weird Audio is the new kid on the block. The mics they offer are inspired by classic designs, built with modern components and manufacturing and seem to be built to last (the LRM feels really solid). For me, this equates to consistency and reliability in the studio (compared to keeping a vintage mic/instrument going..). And the results I got with the Little Red Monster are exactly what I was looking for and hoping for.

Attached Thumbnails
Weird Audio Little Red Monster-lrm-2.jpg  
Last edited by digitaldrummer; 1st September 2020 at 08:47 PM..

22nd December 2020

Weird Audio Little Red Monster by pounamu

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

Do not Miss this Microphone Buy it!

I had been looking for a microphone like this all my life!
Despite some flak from some music/audio people who have never tried nor heard the Little Red Monster in action I went ahead and purchased this mic because I read between the lines and I firmly believe I can choose between people with ethics and people who have few.
What a beautiful sound this mic has, it eclipses the microphones I currently have by heaps and they are $3000 mics.
I have no hesitation in saying it captures all of my acoustic guitar sound and vocal sound so evenly and in a most musical way I was really overcome.
What sound I thought my voice really produced and also what my acoustic guitar was producing, I have found is really there.

Now the kit... great mic holder seems light but time will tell easy to use though.
Cable that comes with it top class,
PSU works as it should, thou it would have been better set up to 230volts when sending to a 230volt country before sending, not everybody has an understanding of this.
Very easy to change by the way just a heads up.
No I changed it first!
Sent in an over large box and dropped in transit with a split packaging. The extra large box saved the mic.
By the way great case.

My greatest recommendation for this mic!
I was a working musician for many years and now record only, however I do so for many hours a week normally. I have been a musician for 52 years and my ears are still very good.
I will be after the 47" in time when the dollars are there.

I used this Mic with a Groove tubes Vipre normally the signal from my top mics will give me -12dB on record with my acoustic guitar at about 200mm away.
With the Little Red Monster I had to drop 5dB's off at my Vipre and the distance away from guitar and vocal was around 550mm... response is super strong.
I used 1200 ohms by the way.
By the way the paper messages included have great tips keep it!

Do not miss this microphone it really is a great microphone!

I have no affiliation with Weird Audio apart from the type of correspondence
we all have.

Thank you Weird Audiohttps://www.gearslutz.com/board/images/smilies/cowbell.gif

Steve
(Pounamu)

19th January 2021

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

Time has moved on
I am using The Little Red Monster' every day on a new number.
I am using it for Electric Lead, and vocals
My bass goes in direct, my drums are Hand Sonic and BFD3.
I had acoustic in this tune too but found electric to be more suited.
The microphone on acoustic was great.
Now I am so excited with this mic the sound result is beautiful.
I am having fun!
I am having fun with my work I put it down to the sound of this mic.
When I get up to sing I feel good about my voice.
I am really just a beginning to find my voice type of person however this mike really comes to the party in a huge way.
My Amped guitar is as I hear it from the amp, something I have missed.
I will post a Soundcloud song address inside a fortnight I guess if I have the tune finished I think it should show the mikes class even with mp3.

I have never posted two reviews before......

Pounamu

22nd January 2021

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

As promised here is a link to a track using the "Little Red Monster".
I think the quality of the Microphone shines through.
Even if you do not get any vibes off the track if it is not your thing.

the Lead guitar
the Yairi Mahogany Acoustic Guitar
the Martin D8
the vocal
Are all recorded using the Little Red Monster.
The bass is going through a Focusrite 220 pre-amp
As does the electric guitar vamp in the verses.

The Focusrite 220 sometimes gets a bad rap,,,, How wrong.

By the way in this production I used one third of the plugins I normally use.

By the By s's I use a lot of s'sss words I have never used a microphone that was so kind to my "S" sounds! They end up being useful in most cases.

https://soundcloud.com/steve-maitlan...-into-sunshine

Pounamu

3 weeks ago

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

By the way I just finished a track called "Reason" I am not the best master-er but there you go we try!
That said I put in some Blues harp in this song and was very very pleased with the result using the little red monster.
I would have put it with my last review but was over the time limit.
Oh... all the instruments and vocal were recorded with the
Weird Audio Little Red Monster I did this to see what would happen.

Pounamu

https://soundcloud.com/steve-maitland-1/reason