The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weird Audio Little Red Monster

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

A real go-to microphone for just about any source.

1st September 2020

Weird Audio Little Red Monster by digitaldrummer

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

The Little Red Monster is a large diaphragm, multi-pattern tube condenser microphone. It comes with a hard case for storage, 7-pin cable (from mic to power supply), power supply & power cable, and shock mount. The shock-mount is a Rycote-style, which in my book is an upgrade compared to others in this price range.

According to Weird Audio, the inspiration for the sound (obviously not the look..) of this mic is the U67 or even U87. Definitely a classic sound to target... I wish I could compare directly but I don't own either of these (I do own several other clones and similar sounding mics though...). And to be honest, those are out of my price range.

Ok, but how does it sound? I plugged into a 1073 style preamp and used it on drum room, acoustic steel string guitar, nylon string guitar, male vocals, female vocals, percussion, and more. Every time I was really, really happy with the results. In nearly every case i did not find the need to even EQ the sound in the mix. It just worked. With many mics I'm cutting some mud or tweaking some high/mid frequency. And this is the part that I found the most amazing about this microphone. it made my job as the recording and/or mix engineer easier, and I'm always down for that.

Weird Audio is the new kid on the block. The mics they offer are inspired by classic designs, built with modern components and manufacturing and seem to be built to last (the LRM feels really solid). For me, this equates to consistency and reliability in the studio (compared to keeping a vintage mic/instrument going..). And the results I got with the Little Red Monster are exactly what I was looking for and hoping for.

Attached Thumbnails
Weird Audio Little Red Monster-lrm-2.jpg  
Last edited by digitaldrummer; 1st September 2020 at 08:47 PM..