The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NEVE Genesys Black Recording Console

3.25 3.25 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Great sounding console, but i'm missing some features and controls.

29th August 2020

NEVE Genesys Black Recording Console by LexV1997

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 2 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.25

Pro’s
The looks and Ergonomics
It has a modern look, it’s beautiful. Gone is the weird look of having a keyboard standing on top of the controls and bad ergonomics of it. Love it .

The touch screen:
This is a great idea to have the screen in the center of the console. But I would have liked to see a channel strip on the side of the screen instead of having a second screen standing on the console.

Recalling:
If find this the one of best features of this board. Because It’s saves so much time. This makes working with an analog console a viable option again form an economic standpoint.

The Sound:
It’s Neve and it’s sound that way .

Con’s
No 88R Preamp:
I would really like to see an option to have this preamp installed. It’s open but bold sound also it is versatile. It can work on any production. I’m a big fan of it .

1084 EQ Section:
Where is the HPF and LPF? I find a strange idea not having this functions included on Console EQ .

88R EQ Section:
It’s missing the Hi-Q option on the Low and High band, the Q-knobs on Low-Mid and High-Mid Band are also gone and were is the Low Pass Filter? So it’s less versatile than “real” 88R Console EQ. I know the say 88R-Style but i would not buy this board without these features, Because that why I love the 88R it's versatile.

Dynamics Section:
The Dynamics Section is really missing on lot of feature that I liked on the newer Neve Consoles but it’s also missing some basic features like a gain knob on the compressor. A hard knee option would also been appreciate. On the gate I’m missing the Hysteresis Knob.

The Controls:
They feel a bit clumsy. I work on digital Midas Pro2 for live Sound. What I like about that board is that they have a full channel strip with encoders. This is giving me an analog feeling. I find that it also works a lot faster in this way. Just select a channel and touch a knob or button on the channel strip and will automatically jump to that section and show the information on the side of the screen. I would like to see this features added on the next version of Genesis.

Conclusions:
I think they are on right path, but I’m missing some controls and functions that I like about mixing hybrid. It’s missing some of the tactile feel of turn the knobs and pushing buttons of an analog console (on EQ and Dynamics Section). Would love to see one fully featured channel strip with encoders and buttons. So to wrap it up. I think it's good console just not for me.