The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focal Elegia Headphones

Focal Elegia Headphones

2.5 2.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Plastic frame in the headband broken in less than 2 years.

27th August 2020

Focal Elegia Headphones by Trass

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 1 out of 5
  • Features N/A
  • Bang for buck N/A
  • Overall: 1.25
Focal Elegia Headphones

While working, I was very happy with the Elegia headphones to complement my home studio monitors and for late night listening. Sadly, the plastic frame of the headband broke a couple of weeks ago, making the headphones unusable.

For me, they have been my closed back headphone pick and they have never left the studio even if they are marketed as an exclusive headphone for portable use. They have never hit the floor or anything like that, so the break comes solely from taking the headphones on and off.

Yes, I use them almost daily which also explains why I wanted to go with a higher end headphone that hopefully would stand up over time - in particular as it is even marketed for portable use where any headphone will take more abuse. I have not, however, been taking them on and off constantly during use - only on and off when starting sessions where I either could not use my monitors or wanted to listen to things through headphones to check.

After reaching out to the place I purchased them, who in turn reached out to Focal in France, I sadly got this reply from Focal:

Quote:
This is a problem related to incorrect use of the product. It cannot be repaired. It is not covered by the warranty.
Not covered by warranty is a bummer in itself, but the fact that they cannot be repaired is mindblowing. In easily 20 years of similar use of headphones, no model or brand has ever had this problem for me. There is absolutely zero other wear on the headphones. Oh, and yes - I did swap out the cable as the original cable is silly stiff and broke in less than a month. I have been happily running a Beardynamics stock cable instead which is much more pleasant to use.

So, in essence: However happy with the sound quality I have been, the Focal Elegia cannot be recommended for studio use or any other situation daily use situation. That would include for the purpose of portable use, as that is likely even more of taking the headphones on and off. I would be extremely cautious buying any other Focal headphones, unless they have a metal structure inside the headband instead of the plastic frame that the Elegia have.

In the pictures below, you can see me pointing at the break, as well as holding them upside down so you really see how floppy the headband (ofc) gets as a result.

Attached Thumbnails
Focal Elegia Headphones-20200819_185905.jpg   Focal Elegia Headphones-20200819_190035.jpg   Focal Elegia Headphones-20200819_190045.jpg