The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Simple Way Audio Vacuum

Simple Way Audio Vacuum

4.75 4.75 out of 5, based on 1 Review

One of the most important elements for the audio signal chain is undoubtedly the preamplifier. If it is on valves, the guarantee in terms of sound is practically assured. Again Peter Glushkov and his brand Simple Way audio serve us an exquisite dish at the table.

20th August 2020

Simple Way Audio Vacuum by Midas

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Simple Way Audio Vacuum

I think there are few professionals who do not agree that in terms of sonic richness, tube preamps are the ones that best contribute beneficially to it.

When I think back to all the studio gear purchases, mic preamps have so often been an exciting experience because the combination and possibilities of using x microphone combined with x preamplifier can offer us a great variety of sounds.
The Simple Way Audio Vacuum comes out with x2 different versions. One is a x2 channel model and the other with a model with identical characteristics it is a x8 channel version.
The x 2-channel version is a very practical unit for small home studios or simply for project studios in which it is not necessary to record several instruments simultaneously, but rather to do it with a preamplifier "otb "Higher quality than most conventional sound interfaces intended for home/ project studios.

"Description"

It's designed and built and handmade manufactured and assembly by the Tech Peter Glushkov in Riga , Latvia. The main concept of the hybrid microphone preamp was a combination of two main circuit topologies – tube and transistor. The first copes with high voltages, and the second – with electricity, lowering the resistance and preparing the signal for output to the next device. The hybrid solution solved a number of technical problems, simplifying circuitry, bypassing the heap of passive elements in the sound path, which are inherent in tube equipment.

"on the pitch"

One of the things that caught my attention is how practical and direct the use of the unit is. This goes straight to the point with the minimum but most necessary functionalities necessary in a preamplifier such as a polarity reversal switch and another phantom power (48v). A part t's solidly built with hardly any knobs on the front avoiding being one of those cumbersome units that are so abundant in the market.

"Under test"

The tests and comparisons were carried out using a Simple Way Mic One microphone and the comparisons were made comparing the Simple Way Audio Vacuum x2 channels vs a Bae (Neve)1073 replica and a Manley Slam.

Vacuum vs Bae 1073 replica

I used a "clean" electric guitar sound and under my personal ear and judgment bae sounds somewhat "darker" than the Vacuum, Logically the valves provide a bit more top end, and a somewhat more lively sound, while the Bae turns out to be somewhat" darker." due to its topology. Regarding the bass, the vacuum offers a little more consistency and solid body as in the mids.

Vacuum vs Manley Slam

Here I used a sampler of an electric guitar with distortion. My impressions were that the Manley slam sounds somewhat brighter and thinner than the Vacuum. The vacuum sounds with a little more body in the bass. While in the high mids, the Manley Slam perhaps offers a bit more solidity. offering both textures and a different sound, and valid for a great variety and combination when recording different sound sources.

Conclusions

If we compare the price of the Simple Way vacuum with respect to some of the preamps with similar characteristics on the market, without a doubt the Vacuum is a great rival to beat. Considering the price and sound quality this unit offers.

TECHNICAL CHARACTERISTICS:

Input Tubes: 2 12AX7 dual triodes, low noise and stable bias
Output Tubes: Transistor
I/O: Thru Balanced Scheme
Microphone preamplifier: Selectable 48V phantom power (current source and phase reverse)
Gain: 75dB max Microphone preamplifier.
Input Impedance: 200 kOhms Micpre.
Frequency Response: 5Hz to 120KHz @ 50dB(gain)
Maximum Output: +35 dBu (into 1Kohm load)
THD: <.002% @ 1KHz
THD+N: <.004% @ 1KHz
Dynamic Range: 120dB typical
Output Impedance: <=30 ohms
Power Consumption: 0.240 Amps (240 milliamps = 240mA) @ 240V = 57.6 Watts
Mains Voltage Frequency: 220volt/50hz