2nd August 2020

Serrano Audio 87 by luckyman

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Serrano Audio 87

Hi to all musicians. I want to leave a comment about microphone from Carlos Serrano. I saw his announcement at this forum and found his website. I Learned all information on the website, And i wanted to buy and try this microphone on my home studio. I have original vintage u87. I know this sound very well!. The microphone came quickly. I made the test and compared it to the original. What verdict? Tremendous microphone! Almost for 100% it is similar to the original! At blind listening it is impossible to distinguish! I wrote about it to Carlos and thanked him for excellent work. I ordered more microphones from him. Now Im going to sell my original u87 Neumann. If someone, wants same u87 sound, but not ready spend about $3k, then you found it! You can buy Carlos Serrano microphone with full confidence and very affordable price. No need original u87 more. You will not be disappointed. Thanks Carlos! Also, I wait from you for the same quality level, u47 replica!

1 week ago

Serrano Audio 87 by tjlindgren

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Serrano Audio 87

I just wanted to take a second in the middle of Covid (yes, still...) to write a review for the Serrano 87 microphone (serranoaudio.com). I've worked in Hollywood for the last 20 years as a composer/pianist/arranger/pro tools guru (and everything else in between) and have been lucky enough to work with some of the best mixers out there - Alan Meyerson, Shawn Murphy, Dennis Sands - in some of the best studios. Unfortunately, with Covid upon us, getting into the studio these days takes a lot of moving parts and so when the first lockdown hit I decided to invest in a few mics to do more recording at home.

Normally when not in the middle of a pandemic, I don't do a lot of recording in my home studio. Usually stuff like guitars and electric cello, maybe vocals here and there, but not a lot of acoustic instruments. So, I don't have a lot of mics, let alone a mic locker. When choosing mics to record with, I was mainly looking for something versatile. For me, the original Neumann U87 is pretty much the swiss army knife of recording. Basically anything you record with it sounds good. I had seen the announcement for the Serrano 87 at NAMM earlier this year and it was on my radar, so after reaching out to Carlos about the mic, I decided to take a bit of a risk and order a pair.

I have to say, I'm very glad with that decision. Not only does it sound extremely close to an original U87, but it has the same versatility as well. The first project I did post lockdown was recording my Steinway B. As a pianist, I'm very particular about how the piano sounds and there are always two areas that are problematic to me when recording - an overly prominent mid-range and an inaccurate top end (there's nothing worse than a pingy piano). The Serrano 87s did an excellent job with both, especially the top end. From someone who would say their "holy grail" mic for piano is probably a pair of original C12s, I was not at all let down by the Serrano 87s which really is a testament to the mic and the work Carlos put into it.

Throughout this year, I've also used them for frequent Zoom lectures (our new normal), room mics and vocals. And I've been extremely happy with everything I've used them on so far. I know there are a lot of choices out there for 87s. Everyone and their mother seems to be making an 87 these days. But this mic is special. And honestly, in terms of bang for your buck it's off the charts. If you are looking for something that sounds like an original U87 or are like me and are navigating the new normal recording and working at home (and everything else in between) and need a microphone that will sound good on everything you put in front of it, I highly recommend the Serrano 87. I can say with a lot of confidence, it will serve you well.

TJ Lindgren
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1177793/

P.S. Here is a youtube link to a project I recorded piano on with the Serrano 87s. The Serrano 87s were used as the main mics with a Flea 47 used for a room mic recorded into a Merging Anubis interface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xR3...ature=youtu.be

Credits: Danny Elfman - Music, TJ Lindgren - Piano, George Doering - Guitars, Noah Snyder - Mixing