2nd July 2020

Focal Shape 50 by 56tweed

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Focal Shape 50

I recently upgraded my 160sqft project studio and knew my monitoring situation needed to be a part of that. Having done extensive research, the Shape 50s made the short list. This represents a pretty big investment given that this is a non-commercial project studio and I was a little unsure how big a difference these would make.

My previous setup included a set of M-Audio BX5s, which are significantly less expensive, but had serious limitations. Like many monitor speakers, the BX5s are rear ported which makes placement near a wall an issue.

Even before break-in on the Shape 50s I could hear a lot more detail and a much more defined low end. The unique design with the double passive radiator instead of a port really helps support that low-end definition.

After about 50-60 hours of break-in, I set out to tune the controls a bit for the room. Following the instructions in the guide, I was able to easily make some adjustments that improved the balance even more. After a month of using these, I am very happy with the purchase and cannot imagine investing any serious money in any studio gear with inadequate monitors.

These look great and perform very well for monitors in this price range.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search