22nd May 2020

APS Audio Klasik 2020 by differance

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
APS Audio Klasik 2020

I previously worked on SC207. The change to Klassic 2020 opened my eyes and ears. I had APS Aeon with I sold to friend as I moved to smaller place. I switched to older Klassics and they were great. As soon as new ones appeared, with stronger amplifiers and a improved bassreflex, I didn't hesitate even a minute.
Working on them is a pleasure, they have great stereo image and very clear middle. The low-end plays from 39hz and its fast and precise, no. As for the tweeter, it does not tire the ears and shows all the details.
Anyway, writing about the speaker makes no sense, you have to listen to them to find out if they good for you.
In conclusion, I give 5 by 5 in every aspect.

Last edited by differance; 22nd May 2020 at 11:52 PM..

4 weeks ago

APS Audio Klasik 2020 by Evdoggydog

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
APS Audio Klasik 2020

Okay…excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor. These speakers are absolutely incredible. It’s hard to describe their sound because they present recordings exactly as they were intended to be heard. If something is well recorded and mixed, they sound incredible. If not, all the flaws are exposed immediately. There is no sonic coloring from these speakers. Incredibly neutral and clear. The top end is smooth as butter and the depth is astounding. The bass goes as low as you’ll need it. I can’t believe they have this extension from a 7” woofer.

I’ve never heard APS speakers but was looking for an upgrade from Adam A7’s and a sub. Something about the lack of aggressive marketing and boutique quality of APS intrigued me. I’m so glad I took the chance. APS is setting an incredible standard for monitoring at affordable price. Just over a 1k for these? Are you kidding? I can’t wait to mix on these. Bravo APS, bravo!

5 days ago

APS Audio Klasik 2020 by Barncore

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
APS Audio Klasik 2020

I recieved my Klasiks about a month and a half ago and i feel it's time for my review. I've been able to listen to a lot of music on them and mix with them. I've tested them on different sides of the room, with and without room treatment. For context, i was using JBL LSR305 (for 6 years) and Yamaha HS80M a bit too before this, to give you an idea of where i'm coming from. I can safely say that the Klasik 2020's are in a whole other league when compared to them. They are easily the best speakers i've ever heard.

I researched monitors for about 3 weeks before settling on the Klasiks. I was looking for something that i could mix on, that would present the music in an accurate way, but also something i could listen to music on and it would be super pleasurable and breath taking, to the point of inspiring me to write my own music. But i didn't want speakers that were TOO exciting, cos i don't want to risk my own mixes getting presented as better than they actually are. I wanted something that would aid my "audio imagination". By that i mean, i wanted something that would present music in a sort of visual way in my mind. I also wanted something with a superior build quality. No more mass produced plastic stuff, i wanted something that was made by a passionate boutique company.
These monitors tick all those boxes.

I think the key when researching which monitor to buy, is to ignore all the youtuber style videos that hype up a monitor. Even if the youtube channel is a trustworthy engineer or something, they were probably incentivized to review it. What you want to look for is the passionate user impressions. The old Klasiks had some very passionate reviews, and the new and improved Klasik came out just in time, which had apparently fixed the few flaws that the old Klasiks had. I bought these speakers blind without testing, and i did so with confidence. And they met my high expectations!

It took an hour or 3 for the speakers to break in. Or perhaps it was my brain that was adjusting to the new speakers over that hour or 3? But either way, the full impressiveness of these speakers wasn't immediately obvious. But now i can't believe how i was working with the JBL's and Yamaha's before. Now, every time i listen i smile, and the dopamine flows, lol.

So how do they sound? The keywords here are: Detail, clarity, natural, high resolution, overachiever.

And i don't mean clarity as in "bright". I mean clarity as in "clear".

They are CLEAR. No noise. No augmentation of the source sounds.

And the detail, oh my god. I'm hearing new little harmonics in songs I've known for years. E.g. In a familiar QOTSA song with a fuzz bass, i'm hearing fuzz harmonics WITHIN the fuzz harmonics. To describe it in some kind of analogy, it's like you look at someone's head and they have a hairstyle (how normal ppl hear music), then you look closer and you can see each individual hair (how it was for me on the JBL's/Yamahas), THEN you look closer and you can see little micro hairs on the individual hair strands (what it's like with the Klasik 2020's). I feel like I have x-ray vision into what the sounds are made of, lol. Or at least a magnifying glass. It's as if i've zoomed in a few fractals into music. That's the thing that has stood out the most.

Another example, i listened to a familiar song with piano in it, and i'm hearing new little details in the piano recording i'd never heard before. I can notice the subtle hammer action, i can hear how the neighbouring notes on a piano resonate along with the fundamental note. Not to mention, the deep bass with the bright drums on this song sounds freakin delicious, even more than usual.

Another thing. I feel like I can see the spaces in BETWEEN the sounds. This allows me to get a sense for where everything is in the frequency spectrum & stereo image, because i can hear where they're NOT.

The bass is lean and deep. I like setting "3" on the bass switch (which is the middle bass setting). Feels like the best balance. I'm hearing grooves in a new way, the speakers bounce air in an enjoyable way (but not too much for my small room). You don't expect it for their size (7"), but the sub feels naturally deep, no woofiness or artificial boominess. El naturale.

You can listen to them at very low volume levels and the frequency spectrum stays in tact. You can still hear the bass, you still get full extension.

The 3D soundstage is good. Nice front-to-back depth. It's not a crazy over the top soundstage, but you do forget the speakers are there and the sound feels like it's floating in the air, which is a fascinating phenomena. But as i said, it took an hour or 3 for this element to be fully obvious for me. I'm guessing as they break in the sound "opens up" a bit.
Or maybe the brain opens up.

As far as functionality, I really like this bass switch. As i said, i have it on 3 (which is the middle setting, oddly. "1" is most sub, "2" is least sub, "3" is in between). It's cool because if i want to check what's in the subs i can flick it to 1 and the bass is noticeably more full of weight. You have to be aware that for the extra bass extension to happen it has to take a slight bit of energy away from the mids. Whether that shift of focus is coming from within the speaker or from within my mind i don't know. With that in mind, if i want to shift my focus to mids specifically then i can flick it to 2 and it takes most of the sub away and the juice goes to the mids. Setting 2 is also useful if it's late night and i don't want to bother my roommates or neighbours. We all know sub travels far to other rooms.
I just wish the bass switch was at the front so that i can access it more easily. Not a big deal though. It'll probably stay on 3 most of the time anyway.

As far as mixing music is concerned, I can't imagine how monitors could be any better to be honest. Sure, some speakers probably sound better technically, but from a mixing point of view, how much better can speakers be before it presents the music in an unrealistically awesome way? At a certain point you're losing touch with the common man. These give you such an accurate representation, from frequency to stereo image to front-back depth. And that's the name of the game, after all. I already trust these speakers to be able to reveal the edges of frequency imbalances. If something sounds too harsh on these, then it is too harsh in reality. if the bass is too boomy on these, then it is too boomy in reality.
When you adjust parameters in your plugins, you hear subtle differences way more easily. I can easily hear what a difference 0.5db makes, i can hear what subtle saturation/tone a plugin is giving more easily than i could before. I can hear the differences in the quality of different reverb plugins. Some reverbs sound like they're coming from behind the music (yay), some reverbs sound too flat (booo). I can identify and remove problem resonances in the frequency spectrum more easily. In general, my mind is having to do less guessing/estimating than before, so making decisions is easier, so mixing is less fatiguing and more enjoyable than before. That's key.

But the hidden bonus with these is that my experience of general listening to music is such a pleasure.

Even my girlfriend, who has no interest/experience in audio or music, i sat her down to show them to her, she wasn't that interested at first but once i started playing the music her eyes went wide and she was like "wow". They're universally amazing. I've honestly never heard music sound as good as it does on these speakers. Maybe take that with a grain of salt because i haven't used any high end stuff, but i know good when i hear it and these are really really good.

The best thing about these speakers is they really go as far as the music takes them. If the mixing is bad or raw then the speakers show you exactly why. If the mixing is amazing or well developed then your jaw drops to the floor.

Built with love by a small boutique company in Poland. Best 1000 euros I ever spent. They don't have a distributor in my country (Australia) but i was able to buy directly from Ray (the owner?). We worked it all out through email. I will say, there were a few hiccups doing it this way, but they were willing to resolve the mistakes, and i have no regrets at all. Overall, a very happy customer!

2 hours ago

APS Audio Klasik 2020 by robertgeorge

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
APS Audio Klasik 2020

“The APS Klasik 2020s are truly remarkable, even when you don’t consider the extremely high value they represent. I owned the original Klasiks for a couple of years and most every engineer and all my students who have worked at my studio (Sound Temple Studios in Asheville) have absolutely loved them. I compared the original Klasiks to monitors costing four times the price and still preferred the original Klasiks. Well, as good as the original Klasiks are, the new 2020s take things to another level! The mids are clearer and flatter, the lows are extended, tighter and flatter and the sense of depth is increased. The minor criticisms that some people had with the original Klasiks (I didn’t have any) have been addressed. They also seem to pair up better with a sub than the original Klasiks if you like using one. They translate remarkably well and are never fatiguing after a long day of mixing. They are very clear but not bright at all. I highly recommend them no matter what your budget is.”

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search