17th April 2020

Latch Lake Music Products micKing 2200 by Paul Ryan

• Sound Quality N/A
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
Latch Lake Music Products micKing 2200

I was fortunate to find a used Latch Lake 2200 locally. They do not show up very often so having read about it and watched videos I jumped on it. Even used it wasn't cheap but so happy I did. There is no shortage of people online raving about how solid it is. It certainly lives up to that. But what I found really noticeable was the absolute positioning mastery it offers. I had always thought that my Atlas and KM stands were pretty good at that. But I had been compromising without being aware-kidding myself, basically. With those stands, being sensitive of mics causing drooping or worse, I had been "shortening" the boom so it never stuck out too much from the stand. So while the positioning seemed ok, the 2200 allows you absolute placement precision. I think the combination of the sturdiness of the stand, plus firm locking of the latches of a mic into position, you have no qualms stretching the boom with a 44bx, or angling it perfectly with a small pencil. So doesn't matter the mic, or instrument, gain staging and getting that sweet spot for the mic is no longer hit and miss.

On the solidness, its as advertised. There is as trick I learned day one which is the importance of the latch bolts.The unit works best when you toggle the bolt and latch before tightening. Some latches want the bolt backed off then tightened others don't require a lot of play at all. But to get the ideal combination of tightness and ease, I found that some toggling of the bolts prior to latching is best. If you get that right, the mic or boom are not moving, period. Finally the spin grip is cool. It took me a while to understand how to hold a big mic in one hand and turn the grip in the other. But once you understand the process, its quite easy to mount or dismount the mic. Final note is that the unit stores away quite easily. Its larger than a normal stand but everything folds up, and with the wheels, is quite easy to store. My next buy will be an extra boom arm as I imagine the engineering quality is same as the main unit.

If you are like me and have a bunch of "ok" stands, but nothing you really trust for boom support-and you have the funds, don't pass go-buy a Latch Lake stand. Your best mics will be safe and might even find some benefits in how the mic performs with perfect positioning.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search