The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha SPX2000

Yamaha SPX2000

4 4 out of 5, based on 1 Review

This is what I call "contemporary vintage digital! Definitely old school sound that can be still bought new, lots of controls, characterful, stable working. Remote PC control GUI quite too old school.

11th April 2020

Yamaha SPX2000 by Leveuho

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Yamaha SPX2000

I got SPX2000 second hand in March 2020. I've been hunting for an external FX unit for a while and finally decided to buy Yamaha (via Gearslutz Classifieds!). Here's my video review of the unit, I'll write a couple of words, too.

The character of this unit can be described in two words: vintage digital. It really holds up well alongside previous SPX line units (90, 90II, 900, 990, 1000).

Its reverbs are rich, colorful, but also have quite grainy tails. Its delays, choruses are definitely vintage sounding, reminding me of my MDE-X fx unit by Korg, same for the rest of algos. The only one I didn't really like was overdrive - it sounded too digital for me. Bottom Whacker also made me a bit concerned and I couldn't make it sound interesting.

The panel of the unit is clean and easy to use. The remote control software is too clunky and should be visually refreshed, this unit is still sold new, so come on, Yamaha! Also, there is no direct VST editor, which I don't get, Yamaha bought Steinberg, so?

The install process and stability of the software are hassle-free for me, though.

The unit can be bought cheap second hand and I recommend it if you're looking for that vintage digital sound in a more contemporary style.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search