1st February 2020

Louder Than Liftoff Chroma+ by Jimboy

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Louder Than Liftoff Chroma+

I was lucky enough to receive a LTL Chroma+ SN 0004 ..
I patched it up to a couple of bus inserts on my old A&H System 8 MK1. The input and colour can be driven all the way up to 10 (mine has the tubes) and reducing the output to 3 or so delivers a range of sweet tones that break up beautifully. There is interaction between the input and how the colours are driven. This is a creative tone & distortion box with a wide and broad range of tones available. Generally N or A sounds good when set at around midday.. beats, synths and riffs from my DAW all sounded better passing through this box. The fixed Low EQ is great on pop but the high was a real surprise and worked on everything and just sounds lovely. The pres sounded big and very detailed, even with a low cost dynamic microphone, really nice and with plenty of A,N and colour on tap when / or if / needed.
I plugged up some guitar pedals and 80s Roland drum machines into the DIs - Compared to my other DIs the sound is tight and focused and perhaps FET sounding ?
I messed about with the Ch1 into Ch2 and this actually worked well beefing up the signal and giving more colour and EQ options. The Retro mode is subtler, rounding off the highs and adding low EQ bump and tended to keep it in for most DI inputs.
When plugging a lead into the DIs it overrides the XLR IP - Very cool silent patching..
A very well designed and versatile 2 x mono unit with different gain stages, colour options, really nice Pre amps and DIs with a newly designed power supply. The unit is weighty and the build is excellent. The sound is big, picturesque and detailed. Looking forward to getting to know this unit.

Last edited by Jimboy; 5th February 2020 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: Upload images

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search