3 weeks ago

Ableton Push 1 by Groovizm

• Sound Quality N/A
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 2.25
Ableton Push 1

This is my personal opinion on the first version of Push.

I did buy Push hoping to fulfill these 3 wishes:

• Must have: creating beats and melodies with knobs and buttons, like on real sequencers instead of the mouse.
  • Should have: control plug-in parameters.
  • Nice to have: playing the sessionview clips live and recording these into the arrangement.

How does Push cope with these tasks?

Well, I found that creating beats is really easy with Push, if you use Lives' drumracks. If you don't want to use drumracks, but rather use something else like Battery than it doesn't work, because Push only switches to the correct sequencer mode for creating beats when it detects a drumrack on the track. Creating melodies on Push also does not really work for me. It only has room for 8 steps, which means 2 pages to a bar when using 16ths. I find this unusable. The sequencer (drums and notes) also only works on clips in the session view. So if you want to record or change a clip in the arrangement view you can't do that with push.

Control of plugin parameters on Push is pretty good but in most cases you'll still want to group your instruments and effects in a rack and setup the most important parameters to be controlled from the rack. Otherwise you have to browse up and down the device chain, which feels a bit clumsy. It's also the only way to get everything labeled in a way you can actually make sense of.

Jamming an arrangement works very well, but I guess that something like a Novation Launchpad Pro, or Akai APC40 will work just as well. It's as simple as triggering clips and recording that into the arrangement.

In the end I think a new Push is extremely expensive. I got mine for 200, euro's and anything more seems overpriced to me. If I'd have to choose between Push and the Arturia Beatstep Pro I'd choose the Beatstep.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search