The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Line Audio 8MP

Line Audio 8MP

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

An inexpensive, mostly transparent preamp option for those who need plenty of inputs and clean gain.

2 weeks ago

Line Audio 8MP by vizcities

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Line Audio 8MP

I'm quickly reviewing this because it's the greatest value in preamps I've ever found and I want to spread the word. If you're a musician-recordist - that is, a hobbyist who just wants clean, professional results - this could your alpha & omega outboard pre.

The 8MP includes 8 preamp channels, and each features the usual Good Stuff - a pad, a low-end rolloff, and +48 voltage. All have 60 dB of almost comically clean gain; many on the GS forums have described the transparency of the 8MP's pres as "Grace-like," which squares with my experience using both condensers and low-output dynamics/ribbons like a FatHead, SM7B, or RE20. Anecdotally, my Sytek MP4 acolyte of a brother found the 8MP's channels comparable to those of his beloved workhorse, and he marveled (with some buyer's remorse) at the unit's ~$700 USD price point. If you're just looking to get an accurate capture of an instrument/band or emphasize a mic's inherent character, this thing really is a godsend. Oh, and FWIW, I also prefer it to my Audient iD14 and Apogee Ensemble's onboard pres, which are "clean" and high-end but tend to get noisy faster and feel somewhat lifeless by comparison.

If you're a transformer snob, it's possible the 8MP wouldn't have enough "mojo" (or whatever) for your tastes. As far as I know, it doesn't have an input txer, and the output balancing is done via a DC-Servo stage. However, for musicians who need a few more drum inputs and oodles of dead quiet gain, it's a magical step up from most interface pres. I think it's particularly useful if you have a prosumer (think Focusrite, PreSonus, M-Audio, MOTU, even Behringer's very usable ADA8200) 8-input situation and want to immediately - and noticeably - improve the quality of your recordings without springing for a $2000 UAD Apollo 8. For me, getting the 8MP was, in terms of changing my game, comparable to getting an expensive pair of Genelecs or something... I could just suddenly *hear my mics* and start making more complex, interesting choices while mixing. To use an old GS cliche, it felt like "a veil had been lifted" - and, perhaps more importantly, like I was no longer in demo country. (For this reason, I'd recommend the 8MP or its little brother, the 2MP, over a GAP 73 or a WA-12 for amateurs trying to evolve.)

On a more "fanboy-ish" note, the 8MP was my introduction to Line Audio and, along with fellow travelers like 3U and NoHype, it's a company that seems to be a real and welcome boon for the recording community. It feels like Roger is in business for the right reasons, and his mix of humane pricing, excellent products, and friendly customer service gives me faith in humanity. Everything he makes is on the flat/uncolored end of things, but that's sort of the appeal: he provides incredibly versatile (and inexpensive) tools that sound great and, in practice, are as useful for a longtime pro as a growing amateur. The 8MP is no exception.

Last edited by vizcities; 2 weeks ago at 08:25 AM..

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search