13th December 2019

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by Vagskee

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Antelope Audio Discrete 4 Synergy Core

Hi. I want to share my experience with Discrete 4 Synergy Core and express my opinion.
The appearance of Discrete in my studio became a replacement for RME UCX (the interface completely exhausted me), same two components - audio interface and dsp processor, right?
But as a result I’ve changed my approach to mixing and mastering tracks radically. Unexpected turn, honestly..
Changing any parameter inside the equalizer, I clearly hear its effect, each division makes sense (unlike the native plug-ins), this motivates to study the device and act consciously. Compressors hit me even more, I still figure out the settings and study the features of models, the prospects are endless .. Despite the minimal routing opportunities in this model, I found ways to quickly and conveniently process the tracks I need, then the buses and the master track. Man, I have serious sound in my home room, really??))
All of what I wrote above is a discovery for me! I first experienced hardware dsp processing, please do not criticize strongly)
There are almost no Discrete forums or user communities on the Internet, I’m constantly looking for any useful information, life hacks, presets, etc. I will be grateful for your help!
Thanks!

4 weeks ago

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by jaffa

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

Having used a Lynx AES16e with an Audient ASP880 via the AES/EBU outs in my home (professional) studio in the garden, I decided I needed something more portable so I could go back up to my house (it's a long garden) and record my upright piano. I'd had a Babyface pro but I wanted the interface to be easily portable with enough mic pres onboard, the Pro only having 2. I was reading various reviews of the Discrete synergy 4 and I must admit, some of the comments on Gearlutz made me wary of going for this but in the end the sheer number of features, mic pre inputs, expansion - and also a USB 2 and Thunderbolt connection (my laptop in my house doesn't have Thunderbolt) made me think I would try it and return if not for me.

It is for me...I honestly don't know where the people criticising this on here are coming from since I've had no hardware issues, no software issues (including the amazing $1000 offer of free plugins) the sound of the pres is excellent, the AFX architecture seems to work flawlessly, with the Gyratec X a particular favourite - I couldn't be more impressed, whether on Thunderbolt or USB 2 (which is surprisingly efficient). Coming from the Lynx I find the launcher software pretty intuitive, no problem sending the SPDIF out to my old Lexicon PCM 81 and back for external effects send/return also sending wordclock out to the ASP880 syncs it up perfectly via ADAT. I now have my keyboard rig permanently patched into inputs 7-8 of the ASP880 coming into Antelope mixer as an ADAT in. Any setups you can easily save for different sessions etc.You get a stereo monitor out, and a nice big knob on the front you can push to mute or physically control any of the pre levels or headphone out levels (mirrored in the software) also 4 more individual mono outs, all balanced 1/4 jack (which can be linked in the software) Also 4 mono combo jack inputs. The monitoring facility is excellent. Listening to a vocal say with the Gyratec X on input and Auraverb doing its magic (it's a lovely reverb) the sound from my Shure SM7b is superb, clean, full bodied and latency free and of course you can have individual mixes to any of the 4 (yes 4) headphone outs.

The Discrete core synergy 4 is absolutely perfect for my needs, having had it for a few weeks I'm even wondering whether the '8' version might have been useful (with higher spec on the monitor out) but I'm happy, settled now for the forseeable future. My only problem is how to stop myself buying all of the plugins...

I have no affiliation with Antelope audio at all and these are my personal views having bought the item from Andertons music store last month. Try it, you really won't be disappointed.

2 weeks ago

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by chiefreverse

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

I was very skeptical of this interface, mainly because I thought it was just an overpriced machine with an Antelope clock (which is the best) and probably some descent functions. I was tempted by the crazy offer (1000 euros for DSP plugins) and started researching the Discrete series. I had already tested UAD, Arturia and Audient interfaces and selected Audient as the most natural and musical preamp in this price range. A friend of mine had the Discrete 4 (not the Synergy core), so I went to his home studio to see it. Well, on the way back home I immediately ordered the interface from the Antelope website. I was really impressed with the sound quality that is comparable to triple-price interfaces! I received it two days later in my home studio. It's not exactly a plug-and-play interface, but you have to expect this from a very serious device that actually becomes part of your computer. In any case, everything is very nicely explained on their website. You create an account in which you download and install drivers and launcher, register your device and off you go. To date, I have had no problem at all. I'm talking about solid drivers! Another impressive thing is that I wanted to ask a question about the voucher on their website (which will appear in your email the next day after registration). Usually when I ask for help from a website, I get a ticket and wait a few days. On Antelope's website, I just started a chat box and everything was solved in a few minutes! Hands down the best support I've ever seen from a Pro Audio website!

Well, for 999 Euros I bought:
1) the best sounding preamps and converters in a price range from 100-2000 Euros.
2) the best Clock
3) 1000 Euros voucher for DSP plugins that sound awesome and can use them on recording (zero latency) or mixing on my DAW.
4) Sound quality that is comparable with much more expensive interfaces (muuuuch more expensive).
5) Solid Drivers
6) Super fast direct support from Antelope

Hands down the best 999 Euros I have ever spent.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search