13th December 2019

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by Vagskee

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Antelope Audio Discrete 4 Synergy Core

Hi. I want to share my experience with Discrete 4 Synergy Core and express my opinion.
The appearance of Discrete in my studio became a replacement for RME UCX (the interface completely exhausted me), same two components - audio interface and dsp processor, right?
But as a result I’ve changed my approach to mixing and mastering tracks radically. Unexpected turn, honestly..
Changing any parameter inside the equalizer, I clearly hear its effect, each division makes sense (unlike the native plug-ins), this motivates to study the device and act consciously. Compressors hit me even more, I still figure out the settings and study the features of models, the prospects are endless .. Despite the minimal routing opportunities in this model, I found ways to quickly and conveniently process the tracks I need, then the buses and the master track. Man, I have serious sound in my home room, really??))
All of what I wrote above is a discovery for me! I first experienced hardware dsp processing, please do not criticize strongly)
There are almost no Discrete forums or user communities on the Internet, I’m constantly looking for any useful information, life hacks, presets, etc. I will be grateful for your help!
Thanks!

2nd May 2020

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by jaffa

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

Having used a Lynx AES16e with an Audient ASP880 via the AES/EBU outs in my home (professional) studio in the garden, I decided I needed something more portable so I could go back up to my house (it's a long garden) and record my upright piano. I'd had a Babyface pro but I wanted the interface to be easily portable with enough mic pres onboard, the Pro only having 2. I was reading various reviews of the Discrete synergy 4 and I must admit, some of the comments on Gearlutz made me wary of going for this but in the end the sheer number of features, mic pre inputs, expansion - and also a USB 2 and Thunderbolt connection (my laptop in my house doesn't have Thunderbolt) made me think I would try it and return if not for me.

It is for me...I honestly don't know where the people criticising this on here are coming from since I've had no hardware issues, no software issues (including the amazing $1000 offer of free plugins) the sound of the pres is excellent, the AFX architecture seems to work flawlessly, with the Gyratec X a particular favourite - I couldn't be more impressed, whether on Thunderbolt or USB 2 (which is surprisingly efficient). Coming from the Lynx I find the launcher software pretty intuitive, no problem sending the SPDIF out to my old Lexicon PCM 81 and back for external effects send/return also sending wordclock out to the ASP880 syncs it up perfectly via ADAT. I now have my keyboard rig permanently patched into inputs 7-8 of the ASP880 coming into Antelope mixer as an ADAT in. Any setups you can easily save for different sessions etc.You get a stereo monitor out, and a nice big knob on the front you can push to mute or physically control any of the pre levels or headphone out levels (mirrored in the software) also 4 more individual mono outs, all balanced 1/4 jack (which can be linked in the software) Also 4 mono combo jack inputs. The monitoring facility is excellent. Listening to a vocal say with the Gyratec X on input and Auraverb doing its magic (it's a lovely reverb) the sound from my Shure SM7b is superb, clean, full bodied and latency free and of course you can have individual mixes to any of the 4 (yes 4) headphone outs.

The Discrete core synergy 4 is absolutely perfect for my needs, having had it for a few weeks I'm even wondering whether the '8' version might have been useful (with higher spec on the monitor out) but I'm happy, settled now for the forseeable future. My only problem is how to stop myself buying all of the plugins...

I have no affiliation with Antelope audio at all and these are my personal views having bought the item from Andertons music store last month. Try it, you really won't be disappointed.

15th May 2020

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by chiefreverse

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

I was very skeptical of this interface, mainly because I thought it was just an overpriced machine with an Antelope clock (which is the best) and probably some descent functions. I was tempted by the crazy offer (1000 euros for DSP plugins) and started researching the Discrete series. I had already tested UAD, Arturia and Audient interfaces and selected Audient as the most natural and musical preamp in this price range. A friend of mine had the Discrete 4 (not the Synergy core), so I went to his home studio to see it. Well, on the way back home I immediately ordered the interface from the Antelope website. I was really impressed with the sound quality that is comparable to triple-price interfaces! I received it two days later in my home studio. It's not exactly a plug-and-play interface, but you have to expect this from a very serious device that actually becomes part of your computer. In any case, everything is very nicely explained on their website. You create an account in which you download and install drivers and launcher, register your device and off you go. To date, I have had no problem at all. I'm talking about solid drivers! Another impressive thing is that I wanted to ask a question about the voucher on their website (which will appear in your email the next day after registration). Usually when I ask for help from a website, I get a ticket and wait a few days. On Antelope's website, I just started a chat box and everything was solved in a few minutes! Hands down the best support I've ever seen from a Pro Audio website!

Well, for 999 Euros I bought:
1) the best sounding preamps and converters in a price range from 100-2000 Euros.
2) the best Clock
3) 1000 Euros voucher for DSP plugins that sound awesome and can use them on recording (zero latency) or mixing on my DAW.
4) Sound quality that is comparable with much more expensive interfaces (muuuuch more expensive).
5) Solid Drivers
6) Super fast direct support from Antelope

Hands down the best 999 Euros I have ever spent.

13th June 2020

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by Chrisguitarro

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

I recently needed to upgrade interface after getting some work for remote sessions , i'm a professional guitarist and occasionally i do voice over work, I also live in a flat in London so space is very important, after shopping for an interface that would be a "next step" from what i had (i own an old apogee ONE, which i still love and has served me well) i came across Antelope, i was torn between Antelope and Apollo , Apollo users love the Universal Audio world, and i'm sure they are correct , it seems like a fantastic platform, I also had been recommended to check the Clarete , but i knew i needed something with DSP and plug ins, my computer is getting a bit old and i don't wanna over work it with plugins while recording.
As a guitarist , it's super important to me to record with the sound i want , i'm not the kind of guy who records a complete dry signal and then add the effects later, i really need something that at least sounds the closest to the sound i'm trying to achieve , there is no way i'd be able to comfortably nail a take at home recording a complete dry sound and then add everything else post. i like to record as if i'd be playing a live show (i'm mainly a live performer so that's probably why) so i really wanted an interface where i could record with no latency , and with any least a very close sound to what i would want on the record.
so it came to picking between the Synergy core discrete 4 and the Apollo x4.
now i'm certain the Apollo is an exceptional interface, but i ended up picking the Synergy core, to me it had many more features , and it cost half the price of that the apollo was going for, 4 headphone outs ! i mean that's badass, the adat option to upgrade 8 more channels is great, the interface looks elegant, is practical , sturdy, also has 4 more outs aside from the monitor outs , world clock , thunderbolt and USB connectivity, 36 plugins included, fantastic preamps, the Product is great, so far i have had no complains, it's super intuitive, i have not really looked at the manual at all, i've watched a few videos here and there and i've been up and running, it's been a few weeks and i've already delivered a few session jobs , one for guitar tracks and a voice over session, the plugins are fantastic , i was able to get an incredible Voice over patch from trying a few of the plugins, some compression, some EQ, and my voice sounded ridiculously good for voice over work, the guitar plugins are also badass, the amps sound great , i've also been using the compressions and EQ along with my favourite guitar plugins, their Liverpool compressor , in tandem with the Impresser and using the STL tone HUB guitar sounds , made the guitar sound Immense !
i'm a pro musician but i'm not a pro engineer, and the interface has really worked with me to feel at ease while tracking, i said it before but i'll say it again, it's super intuitive, . i really feel that for the price , this is as good as it gets, it's a Pro product, which is perfect for someone like me , who's working from home and it's just getting into the world of pro recording, the clients that have received my work where very impressed with the sounds i and the files i gave them.
i'm really looking forward to learn and continue to use this product. i definitely recommend it.

16th June 2020

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by Evanrotarymusic

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

This is truly a top of the line pice of gear!

This thing has endless possibilities in such a small package I.e. why it is a 5 star for best bang for buck.

The quality is simply phenomenal, you can hear everything incredibly clear especially coming from an old usb or FireWire. Well worth the upgrade and am not looking back!

DSP Technology is on point and I have a b compared the a2 comp with a wa a2 very well matched and also pultech eq to a cheap Klark technic eq. I’m very blow away the plugins.

I would recommend this in a heart beat, so for anyone whose discrediting the discrete 4 synergy either probably dose not know how to use it or has not put in the time to fully understand the incredible power of the unit.

9th July 2020

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by bleumandarine

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

I needed a new audio interface and when I asked to my dealer(Univers Son /Paris France))they advised me to buy the Discrete 4 sinergy core
which I did (after reading many reviews)
I have a new pc ( music only and usb connection) and I have to say that the sound is really good and precise and I did no have any problems with the the launcher and drivers ..
The control panel takes a little time to get used to.
Four headphones outputs...
The plug ins are high quality and I bought the Masters'Toolkit bundle(Impresser,Blonder-Tongue Audio Baton and the space flanger ) and now I'm waiting the edge microphone .

The overall sound of my home studio is really better now!

22nd July 2020

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by parzialakos

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

Just bought a D4SC with Edge Solo mic in offer and love it! Im new to antelope products and i have to say i felt uncomfortable cause i had to use the control panel to adjust everything (you can do it on the hardware also, but you need to press to many buttons), im getting use to it and is not a problem.

The sound is amazing! the convertors and the preamps are the best i have listen so far!

The Edge Solo is so warm and clear and with the emulation plugin you don't need anything else!

I was kind of disappointed with the need of an ilok v2-3 to use the mic emulation plugins in the DAW.

Im waiting the AFX2DAW release for windows and if everything works fine, i believe i'll keep going with antelope maybe forever!

!!! Also the support is great !!!

24th July 2020

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by Ull

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

Very happy with the sound card, it is a level up of my Apollo Twin II -a great machine too, which I still have- due to the level of converters and routing possibilities, apart from the 4 inputs and their 4 high quality preamps . Understanding the concept of routing is a bit complicated, it takes time to understand it but it is very complete. I also bought a couple of micros verge and they sound really good on acoustic guitars, and oddly enough on stereo vocals it gets a very interesting sound. Also highlight the versatility, since it can be used on mac, windows, usb and thunderbolt.

4th August 2020

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by dimizmusic

• Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 4

I use Orion Studio for 3 years in the studio, I was delighted with the sound, really good converters and preamps, compared to some other manufacturers in the class it has a cleaner sound, better dynamics in the lowend, you can hear hiend properly and as a great advantage, it uses FPGA engine.
What bothers me the most is a bad software solution, a problem with the drivers, sometimes you need to restart, reconnect USB, plugins freeze and you need to move the parameter to make work normally again, and there is a lot of other bugs (both Windows and macOS), in this part, the competition is better.
Despite all the buggy things that repelled me from Antelope, in my home studio I missed this device, the hardware is so good and that's what interests me the most!
Now I've Discrete 4 Synergy Core (plus waiting to receive Edge Solo mic) which I can carry everywhere with me. 

13th August 2020

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by johnwest

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

Hi,
Let me say I am not a music producer, I am a video producer, mainly TVCs and Promotional videos.
I've just started using my new Discrete 4 Synergy Core, and although I thought I was going over the top for straight Voiceover work I have to say I am surprised at the improvement over my previous interface.
Packaged with the Edge Solo I am getting amazing sound quality and the ability to add that subtle unique sound.
Even with my old mics the quality is amazing.
The interface took me a little while to get used to but as I said I'm a video guy, audio is not my area of expertise.
I got great support from the guys at tech support to setup the D4SC with my DAW and everything runs smoothly.
So to sum up, even if your not a music producer, top quality audio makes your product so much more enjoyable to your audience, so if you want to step up a bit above the norm a Discrete 4 Synergy Core will certainly help.

Cheers,
Nick

22nd August 2020

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by aqua808

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

Very good interface for this price! This is my first professional sound card and I want to say that it is just amazing! Crystal sound of preamps, powerful DSP and high quality plugins. Im so exited to use it! Thank you Antelope Audio!

24th August 2020

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by Javid

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

I have been a long time looking for an interface that fits my budget and give pro results. When I found antelope it was unbelievable for me to get that quality of conversion, clock and those simulations, I was impressed but still a can't afford a Zen tour, so I found the Discrete and i felt in love with it. I was thinking a lot because of some bad reviews I have seen, but at the end i couldn't believe it, so I just tested by my self.

My first impression was built quality, excellent built quality, then I plugged in and the interface ask for update, the update was very quickly. When a heard one of My mixes with the interface i stared to found a lot of mistakes that i easily can fix now, I can hear with more clarity every thing that is happening.

Then I tested de AFX and was blown away, the preamps and the headphone outputs and I was even more impressed.

The interface for me is easy to use, I found every thing is in its place.

Other thing I tested is USB and thunderbolt, on windows and Mac, and it works flowlessly.

I also tested the AFX2DAW on Mac with thunderbolt, I tested and entire mix with 24 channels and the interface can handle it, if it was UAD I would have to buy a satellite.

I was comparing it with my other interfaces Moto Track 16, Focusrite Clarett 2pre, Audient ID14, they all sound good but is not fair to compare it with the Discrete 4 SC, since they are note the same price. I noticed the change once I plugged the Discrete and listen.

7th September 2020

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by dkalna

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

Hi there, I bought this audio interface in PROMO Action two weeks ago and I'm very satisfied.

Very sturdy build and sleek looking, this interface looks realy great!

4!!! discrete preamps sound amazing, very clean and neutral, can't wait for my free Edge Solo modeling mic to try it on. Bundled FPGA / DSP Effects are awesome, compressors are fabulous, especially those tube mu old style gears emulations.

Some mind bending was required, beacuse all settings are done before signal reaches DAW, but that's no brainer for me. I got latency under 3ms with USB, did not tried with Thunderbold interface yet.

I'v got Bitwig License with it so learning this great piece of software now.

I would recommend this great audio interface to anyone from homestudio to pros.

4 weeks ago

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by mjlick

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

This is my first experience with Antelope's products, and I am very please with the sounds quality of the pre's. Very clear sound, easy routing, and onboard effect are a great addition. I love the multiple headphone outs with the ability to route sound to each listener independently. This is going to make mobile recording much easier. My only regret is that I did not decide to get something like this earlier. .

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search