Harvest Plugins Harvest MIDI by Tommy Zai
Harvest is a MIDI plugin sequence generator that can produce note melodies, chords, and rhythmic patterns.
Let’s get right down to it with a pre-emptive strike against the opposition. Is using Harvest cheating? I’ll answer a question with questions.
• Is using a word processor instead of a typewriter cheating?
• Is using a nail gun instead of a hammer and nails cheating?
• Is opening up a dictionary or thesaurus cheating?
Harvest doesn’t complete a composition and market it. It’s a tool, devised to “Unlimit your MIDI.” Does it succeed? In my case, YES! Harvest has quickly become one of my favorite tools. The learning curve is shallow. In no time, I was up and running, navigating about and creating. In a word — INSPIRING!!! I particularly find it useful for developing unique melodic leads and basses. It’s also great at tweaking melodies and blasting through songwriter’s block via randomizing. Here’s where I plagiarized my workflow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thEsZGnA7No
• Open a couple MIDI tracks, one for Harvest and the other for an instrument that Harvest controls.
• Select number of bars, note length, and quantization
• Input notes or select from a list of preset keys (scales/mode) and chords
• Use metronome to tap-out notes (all notes will be in key as per key selection)
• Lock-in desired notes and ReGen (randomize) the rest . . . almost like playing poker . . . keep the good cards and ask for a few new ones. Only with Harvest you can keep asking for replacement notes until you nail it!
• Press record to print onto instrument track.
• Edit and shape as/if needed.
• Add more layers if desired.
• Add FX to taste (
• Neat, clean, inviting interface
• Easy to use; fun to use; fast; musical
• Demolishes songwriter’s block
• Subtly teaches music theory
• Interactive Piano Roll
• Humanize for some swag and swing
• Updated frequently
• Responsive developer with good customer support
• Excellent video tutorials
• Good price
• Stand-alone version
• Increase number of bars to 32
• Note locking issue identified by KVR Audio Member, Saffran: “Only two options to lock notes, click one note at a time or all notes. If you have 30 notes and want to lock 2/3, that's 20 clicks. Why can't any of them turn into lasso selecting when ctrl-clicked?”
• Streamline CPU consumption
Harvest has quickly become an indispensable tool in my virtual toolbox. No regrets whatsoever. It’s extremely musical. If you’re a songwriter of any genre, check this out. There’s a free version, Harvest Mini. If you dig that, step up to big bro. unique workflow for writing music. Thanks, Harvest Plugins, for developing this amazing audio composition software.